Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV issues...

Hello,

I have a strange question: I seem to be having occasional issues with my TV, a 9 year old Philips CRT (82 cm). They are quite rare, but seem to be occurring more frequently:

First problem (once every two weeks or so):
    During playback, the TV makes a click noise, after which there is no sound and no response from the remote. After 10s, the image disappears and quickly reappears with a click and a pop in the speakers, after this all is well... This seems to be more frequent when using a split TV/teletext screen.

Second problem (couple of times a week):
    Occasionally, when in standby (red light standby led is lit), the TV makes a click sound, and the led turns to orange. After approx. 10s, it clicks again, and the led turns back to red. The time it takes for this first click to occur seems quite random (haven't found a link between e.g. power on time beforehand).

I always turn the TV completely off every evening, standby is only used for short periods of time (a couple of hours at most). My main issue is: I don't trust the TV, one frequently reads about imploding TVs and whatnot... I would be tempted to buy new gear, were it not for the fact that I'm looking to buy a house and would prefer to hold off any such purchase till after that (to make a more optimal purchase).

What would you guys do?
    The click noises make me think high-voltage stuff... My brother may have a spare TV (12 year old 76 cm Philips) I might be able to borrow though, will have to check.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I'd keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Maybe unplug it when it's not in use?
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Sounds like some sort of short creating an EM pulse. Disconnect and either get repaired or throw away.

Comment

Also forgot to mention that it sometimes gives out a click-noise when the image quickly goes from dark to light (but I read this might be normal).
        Either way: I have it unplugged and contacted Philips with a description of the problems.
        I doubt it is easy to have it repaired, but I'll try to enquire...

The TV has done this all for years, but very rarely (once a year for the first problem; once every couple of months for the second). However, as it all seems to occur more frequently, I started to distrust the device.
        pixar

Comment

sounds like a glitch in the power supply section.
          Has a little child ever walked up to the screen when the picture was all static and said "they're here" ???
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
            Has a little child ever walked up to the screen when the picture was all static and said "they're here" ???
            How did you know?
            pixar

Comment

ever clean the dust out ?

Comment

It uses special screws to open... So apart from passing over the grills with a vacuumcleaner, the answer would be "no"...
                pixar

Comment

Also bear in mind that the capacitors inside a TV can hold a potentially lethal charge for quite a while even after unplugging.

My solution would be: Throw the damn thing out. I do have a very nice TV solution for my Computer, and I use it maybe once a month. I don't miss TV at all, it just steals my time when I do watch.
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                  X