Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote applications (rdp)

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to run applications on a remote computer, a bit like what you can do with RDP, but without cloning the entire remote desktop...

Are there such options?

According to Wikipedia, Vista should support connecting to individual programs, but this seems to be aimed at terminal servers running the RemoteApps service. I wonder if it is possible to a run applications that reside on a regular vista installation....
    I have found references to seamless rdp, but they all use rdesktop as client (haven't found a recent Windows build of this).

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 9 February 2009, 04:44.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

You can stream applications in Citrix and in Server 2008, but there is no desktop equivalent ATM.
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I searched a bit more, and it may look like this might do the trick when using rdesktop in linux/unix environment... Just not sure if it also needs terminal server...

I found a recent native Windows build (1.5.0) of rdesktop, and this version ought to support it... Only one way to find out...
      (I'm still in the process of reconfiguring my systems/network, but may test this tonight... )
      Last edited by VJ; 9 February 2009, 04:55.
      pixar

Comment

Why not just use RDP, even if it does a bit more than you need?
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Just trying to get it more elegantly...

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

I'm a Citrix admin with a large corporation and what you want is still server based. If you don't want Citrix and something more elegant than Terminal Services this might be worth looking into:

Download Parallels to run Windows on Mac, Chrome, gain access to virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) with DaaS, & Toolbox to secure private files, & more.

I used it a year or two ago and like it but have gotten spoiled with what i can do with Citrix. They have a basically free version though up to a certain workload so definitely worth checking out.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Interesting...
              (but it is terminal server based, and the new versions support RemoteApps...)
              pixar

Comment

Like MM said there isn't a desktop solution for what you want yet.... and there might never be (unless you write it). The companies that do this.. don't see a market for publishing Word or IE from one XP/Vista box to another. The margins would cut into the server market too much and the scaling would be meh.

The closest you get is the new vmware workstation/fusion method of having say XP running on a virtual machine on Vista or Mac OS and Office running on your desktop like it was native but it's coming from the XP virtual machine.

This article over at BrianMadden.com (excellent site) has a good breakdown of I'd say at least 90% of the market and the different options:

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                  Just to get a feel of it, I installed Server 2008 (trial) and configured the RemoteApps service. And it does work very nice...

In that vmware workstation/fusion method, don't you have to take over the entire desktop?
                  I'll still give the seamlessrdp/rdesktop combo a go, but don't know when I might get round to doing that.

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Here is how the workstation/fusion method works using the Mac as an example. You are using a Mac at a company that uses Exchange for email. If you've ever use Entourage you know its... painful to use. It is Outlook's step brother that got beat as a kid.. he makes Outlook Express look like a savant. Your Mac has 4gb of ram, you install Fusion and in that you install XP, during the setup you give it 512mb of ram. This XP session can be either full screen or in a window like a RDP session. In there you install Office 2007. You then let XP idle and you minimize it to the tray but you've turned on application sharing. You go to your launch bar in OS X and there are new applications that are in XP. You launch Outlook and it shows up in the Mac OS as if it is installed natively.. you never look at Entourage again.

If your XP 'computer' was going all out it could use all your CPU cycles but never more than 512mb of ram (unless you increase it afterwards). I'd have to double check Fusion but Workstation is similar to ESX and if you've used up the 3.5GB of ram you have left and that XP session is only using 200MB of the 512 it has you can use up to 3.8GB of ram in the Mac OS.

Honestly this is pretty cool technology. There are limits. I have worstation installed on my Vista x64 desktop with XP x86 in an instance. I have an old 12x12 serial Wacom tablet that would cost me $700 to replace with a usb version (versus $30-60 for another serial one on ebay) and Wacom doesn't support serial tablets in x64 (if anyone knows a workaround let me know). In the XP 'computer' I can make the tablet work beautifully but I can't make it work 'native' in Vista so I install Photoshop in XP and give it 3GB of my 6gb of ram and do photo editing there in full screen mode.

Comment

It sounds a bit like the seamless mode in VirtualBox...
                      (shows the taskbar of the guest system above the taskbar of the host, integrates all windows seamlessly)
                      pixar

Comment

Working...
                      X