Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow and Surprise. I've broken something again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow and Surprise. I've broken something again...

So.
    I had the great idea of flashing my 4870 to a happy clock i'd reached, and was comfortable with. This is so I could use the overclocked card in Win7 without the need for rivatuner...

Like a great big twat, i did this in windows, with Winflash, with the 8800 installed also, and both overclocked with rivatuner.
    I noticed Rivatuner was on during the flash proces, and had the sudden immediate urge to close rivatuner.
    As i did click on "exit" the computer froze. I waited for a good few minutes, suddenly discovering patience....bugger all.
    I rebooted to be endowed with an eternal "no signal" from any of the 4 video outputs on the two cards.

A lot of card removing and putting back in, i managed to boot into xp with the 8800 as master, and the 4870 as slave.
    GPUz said the 4870 was running at a few billion MHz and the memory bandwidth could only just fit in the box...then bluescreen a go-go with multiple reboots before getting back to login.

So now I have removed the 4870, and am running the 8800 until i can burn atiflash and the original bios, and find the right command to flash the card in the 2nd PCIe slot...don't want to bork the 8800 cos i'm probably gonna have to force the flash...and due to the bluescreens, i may not have a large amount of time to get the info from atiflash before it reboots or something....

I really really really must build that backup pc ....got sidelined when my parents pc went "poof" just before xmas....
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Why so surprised? (I think I touched this topic in one of past threads in which you also participated, though finding it would take too long)

Comment

everything in the post is sarcasm. I f**k up regularly....I got the itch to beat Mehen's score on 3dmark 06...
      edit : the title is sarcasm, the rest is the suite of events...
      edit2 : I have to try and get a screencap of the 2 billion mhz, it'll piss off the fanboys like wildfire...no photoshop
      Last edited by Evildead666; 1 February 2009, 16:45.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

To play safe you you can usually make a blind flash disk eg small batch file to flash automatically, that way you can just have the 4870 in the primary slot.

well after you get your 2billionz cap,

Comment

I still have a tiny bit more overclocking headroom on my cpu and gpu

Sucks to hear about the 4870 tho.
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
            To play safe you you can usually make a blind flash disk eg small batch file to flash automatically, that way you can just have the 4870 in the primary slot.

well after you get your 2billionz cap,
            Yeah, I hope to get into DOS and check the info on the cards, atiflash -i or -ai just to make sure i get the right command, and then a blind flash if possible, but i don't think the PC even boots with the ATi inside by itself...

Ah well, all that will be tonight when i get back from work, or tomorrow when i get off early...

Comment

Evildead,
              Just ordered an EVGA GTX 285 SC for my brother (on sale for only $380 Canadian!!!). So even though it won't be mine, I'll have access to it for some 3dm06 pwnage 20k seems well within the realm of possibility.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I was just about to reply this morning when my PC bluescreened....
                I had to reset the BIOS on the mobo, and i've pulled it back to 3.52, but don't remember the voltages etc that it was stable at, so i'm going to completely reinstall the machine, with a few less HDD's this time (not 6) maybe only two...the raptor and a 1Tb seagate (yes, I enjoy living dangerously)

I'll still give it a go tho...there is a 4870 BIOS coming that is stable at 880 with a higher voltage, on the reference design.
                just waiting for that BIOS to be available, and will reflash the 4870 if its possible, and if I can wake it back up in the first place...(when I get home in a couple of hours)
                Todays job, is the 4870 zombie revival, and setting up a storage machine that will never see the internet....

Will be interesting to see what gains you get from the 285 over the 260.....

Comment

The card reflashed fine.
                  I had also replaced one of my dimms, and just ran a memtest and it was shot.
                  Put the original one back in, its fine again.
                  Gonna reinstall Windows anyway, its about time...

edit : pulled back to 3.2Ghz for a while....

Comment

Working...
                  X