Opel Ampera debuts at Geneva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opel Ampera debuts at Geneva

Opel Ampera = Europe's Volt, and yes this is a production announcement. Much of it is like Volt, but a front end right off the Opel Flextreme show car. Rumors persist that it will come to the US as a Saturn.

Opel Flextreme show car from a similar angle

Presser

Opel Ampera to feature innovative GM Voltec technology

Rüsselsheim. Opel has announced Ampera as the name of its revolutionary extended-range electric car. The five-door, four-seat Opel Ampera will be revealed at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show (March 5-15).

"With the Ampera, Opel will be the first European automobile manufacturer to provide customers several hundred kilometers of non-stop electric driving," said Alain Visser, GM Europe Chief Marketing Officer.

GM's ground-breaking electric propulsion technology, called Voltec, operates differently from other advanced propulsion systems. For short trips up to 60 km, the Ampera will run only on lithium-ion battery power charged via a standard 230v outlet. For longer distances, the car will continue to drive on electricity that is generated by a small internal combustion engine.

The Ampera will be well-suited to the daily driving schedule of most European customers. For example, approximately 80 percent of German drivers travel less than 50 km daily.

Additional information on the Opel Ampera will be released March 3 at the Geneva Motor Show.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 January 2009, 19:37.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'm happy they'll not keep it US exclusive, but the name is stupid and it's ugly. Which makes it quite fitting for Opel.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
      I'm happy they'll not keep it US exclusive, but the name is stupid and it's ugly. Which makes it quite fitting for Opel.
      I could not have put that any better! ROFLMAO (but true nonetheless).
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

So...what's next? Joule or Watt?

Comment

Working...
        X