"Masterful" landing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Masterful" landing....

Nothing like having a grey-haired ex-fighter jockey and NASA safety consultant flying your plane when all hell breaks loose

This guy lost 2 engines to bird strikes after takeoff at LeGuardia, so what does he do? He glides the A320 over a major bridge between New Jersey & Manhattan then 'lands' on the Hudson river virtually in front of the ferry docks - assuring immediate rescue.

So good a landing was it that the plane was intact and floating, assuring that all 155 people on board were saved.

"Hero" medal anyone?

Pilot praised for 'masterful' landing
    • Story Highlights
    • NEW: Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger has been a pilot with US Airways since 1980
    • NEW: Former Air Force fighter pilot has worked with NASA as safety consultant
    • NYC mayor says pilot checked plane twice for passengers before leaving
    • "I've flown in a lot of planes and that was a phenomenal landing," passenger said
    (CNN) -- Passengers on the US Airways flight that crash-landed into the Hudson River Thursday afternoon praised the actions and courage of the pilot, a safety consultant with 40 years of experience in the aviation industry.

Sources tell CNN that Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger was piloting US Airways flight 1549 from New York's LaGuardia airport to Charlotte, North Carolina, when at least one of the plane's engines failed.

Passenger Jeff Kolodjay offered "kudos" to Sullenberger for a landing that minimized damage to the aircraft and its 155 passengers and crew.

"All of a sudden the captain came on and he told us to brace ourselves and probably brace ourselves pretty hard. But he did an amazing job -- kudos to him on that landing," said Kolodjay, who was sitting in seat 22A.

Sullenberger's wife told CNN that she was stunned to hear the news from her husband after it was all over.

"I hadn't been watching the news. I've heard Sully say to people, 'It's rare for an airline pilot to have an incident in their career,' " said Lori Sullenberger of Danville, California.

"When he called me he said, 'There's been an accident.' At first I thought it was something minor, but then he told me the circumstances and my body started shaking and I rushed to get our daughters out of school."

US Airways said all 155 passengers and crew are alive and safely off the plane.

The crash-landing has also earned the former fighter pilot and private safety consultant accolades from state and government officials.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg commended the pilot for not leaving the plane without checking to make sure every passenger had been evacuated.

"It would appear that the pilot did a masterful job of landing the plane in the river and then making sure that everybody got out," Bloomberg said at a press conference Thursday.

"I had a long conversation with the pilot. He walked the plane twice after everybody else was off and tried to verify that there was nobody else on board -- and assures us there was not."

Sullenberger apparently was forced to make an emergency landing after geese were sucked into one or both of the jet's engines. An eyewitness working on the west side of Manhattan said the belly of the plane touched the water first.

An official who heard tape recordings of the radio traffic from Flight 1549 reported the pilot was extraordinarily calm during the event.

"There was no panic, no hysterics," the official said. "It was professional, it was calm, it was methodical. It was everything you hoped it could be."

The pilot and air traffic controller discussed options, including landing at Teterboro airport in New Jersey, the official said. Then there was a "period of time where there was no communications back, and I'm assuming he was concentrating on more important things."

Sullenberger's background in aviation appeared to have prepared him for such a situation.

He has been a pilot with US Airways since 1980, following seven years in the U.S. Air Force.

His resume -- posted on the Web site for his safety consulting firm, Safety Reliability Methods, Inc. -- lists piloting procedures, technical safety strategies, emergency management and operations improvement, as areas of industry expertise.

He served as an instructor and Air Line Pilots Association safety chairman, accident investigator and national technical committee member, according to a biography on the site. He participated in several USAF and National Transportation Safety Board accident investigations, and worked with NASA scientists on a paper on error and aviation, his site says.

For the passengers on flight 1549, Sullenberger's skill and expertise were apparent.

"I've flown in a lot of planes and that was a phenomenal landing," said passenger Fred Berretta said.

Berretta was sitting in seat 16A right over one of the engines when it failed and the pilot turned the plane to align it with the Hudson River. He described silence in the plane as the passengers waited to hear from the crew.

A few moments later, the direction to brace for landing came.

"It was an amazing piece of airmanship," said Peter Goelz, a former NTSB managing director.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 January 2009, 07:25.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Nice job.. I guess they can even reuse the plane, after they dry it out, and fix the engines
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Yup, great outcome.

...now, if only people wouldn't jump around with "miracle!" slogan...

Comment

He served as an instructor and Air Line Pilots Association safety chairman, accident investigator and national technical committee member, according to a biography on the site. He participated in several USAF and National Transportation Safety Board accident investigations, and worked with NASA scientists on a paper on error and aviation, his site says.
        He would have had to have been one of the A320's original test pilots to have a better resume than that for this situation.
        Amazing luck to have him at the helm on this flight.

PS It's just simply miraculous!
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Superb flying...
          (and probably some luck that the plane didn't break on impact, or that they didn't hit a ferry... )

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Actually, chances of survival during correctly performed ditching are quite high:

I guess that in recent years water landing owns bad name (especially myth about fuselage break-up) to the incident with Ethiopian 961, during which uberstupid hijackers tried to take controls from the pilots during final stages of descent (nevermind that they couldn't comprehend there wasn't enough fuel to reach Australia...). Surely that the crash was recorded on video and widely circulated only helped that general perception...

(btw, I'd like to see a recording of US Airways flight 1549...c'mon, thousands of people around, and no footage?! Or...nobody onboard sitting by the window had cellphone or digital camera?! )
            Last edited by Nowhere; 16 January 2009, 14:43.

Comment

100 billion cameras on this planet and they're all aimed in the wrong direction.

Geese are BIG BIRDS. What are the odds of a flock of them going into BOTH engines? What a fireworks display that must have been!

Kevin

Comment

Here in the east & midwest landed flocks of Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) can easily number hundreds of birds, maybe thousands. If they hit such a flock that was taking off dead-center the density of birds is extremely high, and the odds of ingesting one or more in each engine are pretty damned good.

Officially weights can run 12-14 lbs each, but I've bagged larger ones. Large males of B. c. maxima can run 24 lbs. One helluva impact when the plane is going 200+ mph.

Soooo....want to know what's really stupid?

Laws passed over the last 30 years have forced airports to have buffer zones around them for security, noise abatement etc. All fine and good, even great, but environmentalists saw these as excellent locations for wildlife habitats so they pushed for, and got, laws to that effect.

Many of these zones have been turned into wetlands. Who lives in these wetlands? Literally millions of Canada Geese, ducks, cranes, herons and other large birds - almost all within a mile of the end of runways.

Talk about working at cross purposes

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 January 2009, 05:00.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Oh yeah, blame Canada
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I didn't name them....but now that you mention it
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I take it that using those areas as rich hunting grounds could also be problematic?

Comment

As long as they're within the airport fence they're protected, and since they're migratory birds you need a federal stamp to hunt them. That said; in season, with a stamp & state hunting license and outside airport boundaries they're dinner on the wing
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Not to mention there's a potential, very, very slight chance of accidentelly shooting down quite a bit larger bird...

THAT would be a trophy...

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
                            Not to mention there's a potential, very, very slight chance of accidentelly shooting down quite a bit larger bird...

THAT would be a trophy...
                            Honneydear? We need a larger living room wall....

~~DukeP~~

Comment

You think that's crazy? In 1974, when the Turkish army invaded by force the N. half of this island (and are still there ), the only airport, Nicosia International, was laid waste by the invaders. In extremis, a new landing strip had to be laid down, but fast. Time did not permit massive earthworks and the choice of flat land, distant from the invaders, was limited. It was decided to use the land south of Larnaca. The runway was short and juxtaposed the sea at its NE end. This was opened less than a month after hostilities started. Fair enough, extreme conditions dictated extreme measures.

When conditions became easier, the question arose about building a new international airport. Obviously, with 180,000 refugees from the invasion to be housed and much of the good agricultural land occupied by the Turks (as it still is ), the economy was almost in catastrophe. It was decided simply to extend the runway and build some temporary huts for the terminals. This would seem a logical decision, but...

...but, just to the north-west was a large salt lake and all around were about half-a-dozen smaller salt lakes. These mostly dry up in summer (except for a couple of small ones) but are in various degrees of wetness during the winter, when they are the predilected home for thousands of wading birds, from the size of a moorhen up to swans and flamingos. They are also internationally recognised and protected nature reserves. It is a common sight in winter to see flocks of hundreds of flamingos transiting between the lakes, right across the flight paths of the aircraft and they aren't the size of a sparrow, either. Aircraft are often sitting on the end of the runway waiting for clearance for takeoff while "hostile" birds bugger off. Bird strikes are common in winter with perhaps 2 or 3/year requiring aircraft to return after takeoff either because of engine failure (rare), Pitot tubes spearing birds, cockpit glass cracked, control surfaces damaged, flaps unable to close etc. So far, no major accidents have occurred but it is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

I tried to upload a Google Earth image of the region but the Manage Attachments does not seem to be working. If you open this file, I think it should work. The white areas are dried salt lakes and the greenish-grey and blue-green areas are wet ones. As you can see, the runway has lakes a few metres from it, on either side!
                              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                              X