Bragging....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bragging....

Erik, our 10 year old, won his schools multi-language spelling bee. His study guide includes Latin, Arabic, Asian, French, German, Slavic, Dutch, Old English, Japanese, Greek, Italian, Spanish and Native American. I'd be tongue tied in the first round

He'll be competing in the districts in February.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 January 2009, 15:35.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

When I die if I'm headed south after all it will be to a never ending "multi-language spelling bee"

Congrats to him.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hate to brake it to...anybody who made this contest, but there's hardly something like "slavic spelling"

(pretending to be serious: I know for a fact that there are some things in Russian I can't pronounce; I guess it's mostly about the rift between Slavs that use cyrillic alphabet (which is better suited for old Slavic dialects/was made for them) and those depending on variations of Latin; still, my language is, for example, much, much more "swishing/whispering/rustling" than neighbours; and also...German is actually easier for me to comprehend/spell than Russian - I corrected student of German philology on some occasions )

I guess similar "critique" could be made by anybody who uses Latin (anybody?... ), Arabic, "Asian" (huh? ), German (if there actually is such a thing...) and Native American
      Last edited by Nowhere; 15 January 2009, 16:39.

Comment

They use the English alphabet, not cyrillic etc., but that'll change in a couple years.

Asian = mainland Asian - Chinese and Korean mostly.

Native American = anglicized Inuit, Lakota, Wyandot-Huron (local Iroquoians - also related to Cherokee and Mohawk).
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 January 2009, 17:22.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yeah but is he fluent in l337 5p34|<?
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I completed 2nd semester of Russian course on Christmas. I self learned before that, so I went straight into continuation course.

Comment

Doc, your kid is a mutant.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                Erik, our 10 year old, won his schools multi-language spelling bee. His study guide includes Latin, Arabic, Asian, French, German, Slavic, Dutch, Old English, Japanese, Greek, Italian, Spanish and Native American. I'd be tongue tied in the first round
                Dutch also!

And to think there as an anual dictation competition where a relatively small text is dictated (in Dutch) and people have to write it down. This years' winner only had 8 mistakes, the average number of mistakes was 34...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yeah, Dutch. Margie and I thought too...
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                  X