Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NASA beiefing: methane on Mars - life or volcanism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA beiefing: methane on Mars - life or volcanism?

Bottom line is that methane outgassing has been found in the same areas as water vapor outgassing. Signs of this had been hinted at before, but the levels etc. are causing a big rethink as to why.

The speculation in the science/space press is that this is either evidence of volcanism or subsurface lifeforms giving off methane as part of their metabolism (or both for that matter).

Should be interesting either way.

Should be on NASA TV, so I'm setting the DVR.

Link...

NASA Science Update to Discuss Mars Atmosphere Activity

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a science update at 2 p.m. EST, Thursday, Jan. 15, to discuss analysis of the Martian atmosphere that raises the possibility of life or geologic activity. The briefing will take place in the James E. Webb Memorial Auditorium at NASA Headquarters, 300 E St., S.W., Washington, and carried live on NASA Television.

The briefing participants are:

- Michael Meyer, Mars program lead scientist, NASA Headquarters in Washington

- Michael Mumma, senior planetary scientist and director, Goddard Center for Astrobiology, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

- Geronimo Villanueva, planetary scientist and astrobiologist, Goddard Space Flight Center

- Sushil Atreya, professor of atmospheric and space science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

- Lisa Pratt, professor of geological sciences, Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 January 2009, 12:21.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X