Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrick McGoohan dies (The Prisoner etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick McGoohan dies (The Prisoner etc.)

Link....

Patrick McGoohan, TV's 'Secret Agent' and 'Prisoner,' dies

The British actor, 80, often played villains on TV and in movies. But he gained his greatest fame as the TV spy John Drake. He also won two Emmys for 'Columbo.'

Patrick McGoohan, an Emmy Award-winning actor who starred as a British spy in the 1960s TV series "Secret Agent" and "The Prisoner" and was known for playing various villainous roles in films and on television, has died. He was 80.

McGoohan died peacefully Tuesday in St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica after a short illness, said Cleve Landsberg, McGoohan's son-in-law. The family did not provide further details.

It was the height of James Bond mania in 1965 when McGoohan showed up on American TV screens in "Secret Agent," a British-produced series in which he played John Drake, a special security agent working as a spy for the British government.

The hour-long series, which ran on CBS until 1966, was an expanded version of “Danger Man,” a short-lived, half-hour series on CBS in 1961 in which McGoohan played the same character.

But it was McGoohan's next British-produced series, “The Prisoner,” on CBS in 1968 and 1969, that became a cult classic.

Once described in The Times as an "espionage tale as crafted by Kafka," "The Prisoner" starred McGoohan as a British agent who, after resigning his post, is abducted and held captive by unknown powers in a mysterious village, where he known only as No. 6.

McGoohan created and executive-produced the series, which ran for only 17 episodes. He also wrote and directed several episodes.

Among the memorable villains he played on screen was England's sadistic King Edward I in Mel Gibson's 1995 film "Braveheart."

As a guest star on TV's "Columbo, McGoohan won Emmys in 1975 and 1990.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

You loved him as a good guy and couldn't stand him as a bad guy: Patrick McGoohan was one of those actors who do it all and make it look effortless.

My favorite role for him was the Cold-Hearted Warden in Escape from Alcatraz, followed by Longshanks in Braveheart (who was frighteningly diabolical and ruthless...).

He also had a good role as the commandant of a military academy in an old Columbo. He and Peter Falk became good friends during their collaborations in Columbo.
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

A sad sad day.
      I remember watching the re-runs of Danger Man and The Prisoner, even tho from one episode to the next of the prisoner I never had a F-ing clue what the hell was going on.
      I really really think a lot of the writers at that time were on a lot of acid....
      I loved the intro music to both

I had no idea he was American until it was on the BBC...
      Time to find his page on imdb and get as many as possible...

edit : I am not a number, I am a free man !
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
      X