How much do you pay for power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you pay for power?

I'm curious, especially since we have such a diverse community here. For us here in Mantoba going eco-friendly doesn't really add up (in the sense of buying stuff that uses less power). We have one of the lowest rates (if not the lowest) in Canada at $0.06/kwh (CAD).

However, the Volt would be damn cheap to run... more than 40miles would be nice though - considering we live in the prairies. Regardless, trips to the cabin (about 80miles out) would be dirt cheap.
    Last edited by Mehen; 13 January 2009, 07:21.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

At the moment, we are averaging about €0.09/kWh, with the supplement for oil prices (they have not fully dropped yet!) but we are on 2 tariffs, a cheap one for heating and an ordinary one for everything else. Both tariffs are progressive: the more you consume, the more you pay/kWh, so economy does pay.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

it's tier rated here from .05 to .065, depending on usage.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Well. Theres a fixed cost of about 150$ for being allowed acces to the grid.
        After this, its just shy of 0,32 $US/kwh.

This is actually cheaper than the 2008 prices.

2/3 of this is CO2 charges.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

First 17 kWh/day: $0.04531/kWh
          Each extra kWh: $0.05941/kWh
          Delivery charge/kWh: $0.04284/kWh

Originally posted by Mehen View Post
          However, the Volt would be damn cheap to run... more than 40miles would be nice though - considering we live in the prairies. Regardless, trips to the cabin (about 80miles out) would be dirt cheap.
          At a Detroit Auto Show presser this week GM strongly hinted that because of improvements in battery tech since the Volts 40 mile goal was announced the battery-only range will go up.

When Ford annonced their E-REV vehicle (secretive little buggers hid it from everyone 'til last week!!) they quoted a range due to improved battery tech of 100+ miles.

Do the math...they're likely to be the same.

EV news is coming out of that hall about every 5 minutes.

Compact Power/LG Chem won the primary Volt battery contract, but as production ramps up and other E-REV's come out A112/Continental will get orders to....so both battery companies will be in Michigan.

The CEO of Compact Power (Troy, MI - an LG Chem subsidiary) said on radio this morning that due to the recent advances in LiION battery production the world Lithium reserves would now be enough for 6 billion Volt type vehicles or 30 billion hybrids.

When asked about the scare stories being propogated on websites that there isn't enough lithium for car production at significant numbers he basically said BULLS**T.

Apparently the nano-revolution in LiION tech allows for auto-grade batteries to be made using a tiny fraction of the lithium previously required.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 January 2009, 10:47.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

while it is true the rate is around $0.055 in ontario, the delivery charge is about the same, making the effective rate, with taxes and account fees and such for 1000kwh/month ~$0.13/KW/h
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP View Post
              Well. Theres a fixed cost of about 150$ for being allowed acces to the grid.
              After this, its just shy of 0,32 $US/kwh.

This is actually cheaper than the 2008 prices.

2/3 of this is CO2 charges.

~~DukeP~~
              ughh, have to check if we in sweden also have a environmental crazy charge

atm my price is $0,14/kwh
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
              X