"omg! 14,528 Messages In A Month!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "omg! 14,528 Messages In A Month!"

Lucky Dad purchased the Unlimited SMS plan...

THIS KID'S A TEXT MANIAC

By SUSANNAH CAHALAN

January 11, 2009 --

Greg Hardesty didn't LOL when he got his teen daughter's cellphone statement.

All he could think was "OMG!"

The California man's 13-year-old daughter, Reina, racked up an astonishing 14,528 text messages in one month. The online AT&T statement ran 440 pages.

"First, I laughed. I thought, 'That's insane, that's impossible,' " the 45-year-old dad said. "And I immediately whipped out the calculator to see if it was humanly possible."

He found it was - barely.

It works out to 484 text messages a day, or one every two minutes of every waking hour.

"Then I thought maybe AT&T made some mistake on the bill," said Hardesty, of Silverado Canyon.

The reporter for the Orange County Register grilled his daughter on her texting habit - by text message, of course.

"Who are you texting, anyway? Your entire school?" he asked.

"Well, a lot of my friends have unlimited texting. I just text them pretty much all the time," she explained.

She messages a core of "four obsessive texters" - all girls between the ages of 12 and 13 - on her LG phone.

Reina had a karaoke birthday party, and while other people were singing, she was texting her best friend sitting right next to her.

She even texted her friends to brag about the high number of text messages she had logged when her parents got the statement.

Her texting soared last month because "it was winter break and I was bored," Reina told her parents.

Luckily, Hardesty has a phone plan that allows unlimited texting for $30 a month. Otherwise, he estimates, he would have owed AT&T $2,905.60 at a rate of 20 cents per message.

The average number of monthly texts for a 13- to 17-year-old teen is 1,742, according to a Nielsen study of cellphone usage.

Hardesty admits he himself punches in 900 messages a month - 700 more than average for his age group, according to Nielsen.

Hardesty and his ex-wife have since placed restrictions on Reina's cellphone use, ruling she cannot text after dinner.
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

I don't miss even not having a mobile phone.
    I just don't have any friends or I just like a quiet life

Comment

Someone needs to tell her about this proven communication technique: TALKING. GET A LIFE KID....go outside....go for a walk & talk to your friends in person. Might even enjoy it

Jezzz....if she were my daughter I'd cancel the service, unlimited or not, and kick her in the backside.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

...or talking through, you know...phone

She had already spent practically every waking moment texting (yeah, yeah, "every 2 minutes"...but when you add the time it takes to input&send a message, think about it (even though it's rubbish), anticipate response...)

Also, $30 even for unlimited texting is still a total rip-off, considering that sms service uses free capacity of diagnostic/control channel...

Comment

I think the parents became rather harsh with her, don't you?
          Hardesty and his ex-wife have since placed restrictions on Reina's cellphone use, ruling she cannot text after dinner.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            Someone needs to tell her about this proven communication technique: TALKING. GET A LIFE KID....go outside....
            Yep!

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
            She had already spent practically every waking moment texting (yeah, yeah, "every 2 minutes"...but when you add the time it takes to input&send a message, think about it (even though it's rubbish), anticipate response...)
            I think they use it as chat-system, so there probably are a lot of messages like "yes", "lol", ...
            (and thinking about it? give us a break! )

Umf: Ooh, no text after dinner! What now?

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
              I think the parents became rather harsh with her, don't you?

It’s better then “Go to your room and stay there”.

In their room they have more than I do in mine: PC, TV, handheld games & consoles, Ipod’s, etc…

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
                It’s better then “Go to your room and stay there”.
                In their room they have more than I do in mine: PC, TV, handheld games & consoles, Ipod’s, etc…
                Two words: "circuit" and "breaker"...
                pixar

Comment

The texting, per se, doesn't bother me. It's just another way of talking.
                  But, doesn't this mean she has to have been texting in class?
                  That would be a major no no resulting in restrictions at our house.

And, no child of mine is ever going to have a TV or computer in their bedroom.
                  We don't have them in ours either.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                    Two words: "circuit" and "breaker"...

I can do better, I'll send them to "MY" room!!!

Comment

Isn't that open for mis-interpretation?
                      pixar

Comment

Nope, I just sleep there.

There is only small tower stereo in there, that's it.

Comment

Working...
                        X