Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus geforce names question

Hello,

A simple question: Asus has quite a number of cards with the same chipset. What is the difference between a GTX260/HTDP and a GTX260/HTDI ?

According to the specsheets, the HTDI supports HDMI output, but does this mean the cards differ, or just that a DVI-HDMI dongle is supplied?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

They have to pay extra to get the HDCP key on board.
    one will probably do HDMI with HDCP, the other prob will not do the HDCP.
    Ie . you cant decode protected HD content with one of the cards...

It could also be that one has the HDMI dongle, and the other doesn't...
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Yes...
      Important difference...

Any way to find out which of both options it is?
      edit: the specsheet lists hdcp... does this imply it is just lacking a dongle?

Jörg
      Last edited by VJ; 9 January 2009, 17:44.
      pixar

Comment

It could be just the "special package" at the bottom of the specsheet.
        Leather wallet thing and such...
        check the other ones specsheet out alos.
        There is no mention of a HDMI dongle here...unless it has it onboard.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Na, the other specsheet also lists this.
          The only difference is that in the bundled adapters list is a dvi-hdmi adapter and that it says "yes" on hdmi input (a line not present on the other specsheet).
          pixar

Comment

Then thats probably the difference...the dongle, and maybe a different bios, but i doubt it...

Comment

My undertstanding is that all ati gpu's have HDCP(3850and later), (eg licensed by AMD), whereas nvidia leaves up to each manufacturer to get HDCP.

And I think all ATI DVI(3850 and later) cards can use an ATI dvi to hdmi dongle and retain HDCP.

I am currently using the hdmi dongle from my 4870 on a 3870 in my HTPC to drive HDCP compliant projector.

Of course HDMI equipped cards should HDCP from the start.

Note: You may have some issues with HDCP not being recognised on some official ATI drivers, usualy reverting the drivers supplied by the manufacturer will get HDCP recognised.

Also the current version of powerDVD HD seems to have broken HDCP detection , I have reverted to an older version for now. The powerdvd forums have been full of grief over that for the last month or so, so fixed verion is (over)due

Comment

Is it possible for a card to have HDCP, max DVI resolution of 2560 x 1600 and not support HDMI?

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

It should work.

dvi to hdmi is a definite, hdmi is pretty much dvi with sound + hdcp. I have used a cheap dvi to hdmi cable in the past with no problems. Its a common thing to do.

You may have issues with hdcp in the conversion though, but hdcp sucks in general

Comment

Thanks! I suspect that all the Asus cards are the same, with the following designations:
                    HTDP: standard clock, nothing included
                    G : game included
                    TOP : higher clock
                    HTDI : dvi-hdmi dongle included (?)

Esp. the latter makes things a bit confusing. Guess I'll take the plunge...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Just looking for dvi-hdmi adapters, and saw this:

How does this work?
                      I assume only has the output at a time?

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

haven't seen those before, could be on both?

I have used something like this, (bought from a local shop)

Comment

Yeah, that is the idea now...

I was just puzzled by the aforementioned adapter...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Working...
                          X