Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to Windows shares DISABLED

At work, I use an XP machine.

Yesterday, they just updated a bunch of Windows Domain policies, one of which disallows me to access a machine on the network via Windows Networking.

Note that I can still ping, ssh, and ftp into this machine.

I have admin rights on the desktop work machine in question, and thus can run the policy editor (gpedit.msc), or anything else neccessary.

Does anyone know what I can do to regain my access to Windows File Sharing? Note: In this case I'm the client, not the server. The server was unaffected by this change since it runs linux.

Is the share a system share such as c$ for the C drive? or something else? YOu might be blocked from those with a new policy.

So when you say ". . . disallows me to access a machine. . . " can you even see the shares or does it not allow you see anything after entering "\\machine_name"?

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama View Post
      Is the share a system share such as c$ for the C drive?
      No sir.

So when you say ". . . disallows me to access a machine. . . " can you even see the shares or does it not allow you see anything after entering "\\machine_name"?
      When I type "\\machine_name", I will actually get a login box for the credentials, but no matter what I do, it will reject it if I log on from a machine that's in the Windows Domain. If I login from a machine that's not, then all is fine.

Comment

How about using "Machine Name"\"Username" when it asks for username?

Comment

Even if you use the Map Network Drive GUI it's blocked? What kind of dolt blocks techs from using UNC? Someone needs to be shot.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama View Post
            How about using "Machine Name"\"Username" when it asks for username?
            No dice.

Mind you, this used to work, until they made the switch.

What's worse is that the login name for my local machine and this remote machine now differ.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
              Even if you use the Map Network Drive GUI it's blocked?
              Access to the machine is.

What kind of dolt blocks techs from using UNC? Someone needs to be shot.
              +1

I work hard to get everything set up nicely and what do they do? Throw monkey wrenches at me every year or so.

Comment

You need to remind your domain admins of what an "OU" is and how to check the "Do not inherit permissions" box for techs who need UNC for their jobs.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                X