NASA's manned rover in inaugural parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA's manned rover in inaugural parade

It's a concept by the Johnson Space Center, but it's definitely where they're heading: a pressurized rover this time so astronauts can work in a shirt sleeve environment until it's time to suit up for an excursion.

There are also likely to be spacesuits attached to the outside of the rover with attachments the astronauts can use to enter/exit without the suits coming inside the rover proper. This prevents contamination of the interior with the superfine dust that would otherwise get into everything. The attachments would be where the doors & large metal plate show on the picture of its rear.

The tires, of course, would be swapped for something more appropriate.

Lots of influences here from deep sea diving rigs...so expect robotic arms etc. to be added later.

From On-Orbit:

NASA JSC's pressurized rover concept vehicle with a spacesuited occupant will be part of the Inaugural parade according to NASA sources. According to an internal email:

"The rover is going to be programmed to turn 90 degrees and "crab walk" in front of the podium, then a suited astronaut will get out and plant or carry a US flag. The rover will then be programmed to bow. 5 or so guys from our Branch have been invited to walk alongside the Rover."
    This info has been updated to say there is a problem with it stopping in front of the new Presidents reviewing stand (security) but that the rover will be in the parade, though where its 'demo' will happen is up in the air.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
    It's a concept by the Johnson Space Center, but it's definitely where they're heading: a pressurized rover this time so astronauts can work in a shirt sleeve environment until it's time to suit up for an excursion.
    I understand why they do it like this, but I see practical issues when doing it like this... I mean, it would require quite a lot more hardware (pressurized rover, additional air supply, ...). Otherwise, one just needs a chassis, and possible more airtanks so that the astronauts have more autonomy...

The concept of the walk-in space suites does look very nice. Not sure if the contamination story holds water though, but still a nice concept.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
    X