Win2k and Hibernate feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k and Hibernate feature

Just have a question about the Windows 2000 hibernate feature. I could've sworn that I could make my computer hibernate, but I can't find the feature anymore. It seems that it's just disappeared...I can't even make my computer go on standby through the startmenu->shutdown screen. Does anyone know why this might have happend? Thanks in Advance!

Oh, and by the way, I have an ABit BF6, with a Matrox Millennium G400 Max. The Bios supposedly supports ACPI and all its features, and yes, I do have it enabled.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Larry,

I had to change one of the ini files on the install disk to get force ACPI enabled in Win2K RC3.

(And yes I had ACPI enabled in the bios the first time I tried. Your board has to be on the bios "good list" for ACPI to be installed in Win2K. Dunno if it is. I removed Win2k from my system after running a few tests. I'm waiting for the final release.)

Check the readme files for an explanation of which variable to change...
      I have a BH6. I also had to remove my cheasy PCI ACARD SCSI controller which would not "sleep". Check your event log after trying to go into hibernate or standby. It just might show you if one of your devices failed ACPI.

Regards,

Jake

BTW. If you get it working could you post your experiences here. I'm looking to upgrade to the BF6 myself soon. It's really a great board, and I'm hoping to squezze 600+ Mhz out of my PIII-450.

------------------
      Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
      ----------------------
      MGA-G200 8Mb Mill. bios ver. 2.3, Abit BH6 mobo bios ver. LN, PIII-450@558, 128Mb PC-133 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 40TS CDROM, Panasonic 7502 CDR. Diamond MX300 A3D PCI soundcard.

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 18 January 2000).]
      ----------------------
      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

There doesn't seem to be an APM tab in my power options. I read in the "help" file that the tab is automatically disabled if ACPI is enabled. Thanks for your help guys. I probably won't be using hibernate even if it was working. I just like to know that everything works on my system.

Thanks again!!!!!

Comment

Hi Larry!

The ini file I was talking about is called TXTSETUP.SIF and is located on bootdisk #1.

Change the variable ACPIEnable like this:

[ACPIOptions]
          ACPIEnable = 2

To:

[ACPIOptions]
          ACPIEnable = 1

Save the file and reinstall Win2k from scratch!

Now all the ACPI features will be forced to install in Win2k and you can use the Hibernate feature. Be aware however that you may have peripheral devices that are not ACPI compliant in your system like my cheasy Acard SCSI controller. So, if hibernation results in lockup or nothing like it did for me, check your event log to try and locate the problem device.

Now you may think that it's to much of a hassle to reinstall Win2k completely, but I can tell you that I was simply blown away by how great hibernate works in Win2k! From a complete power off state it will boot your PC and return in a state exactly where you left it with all the running programs and files open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And using a FAT32 formatted HDD it was pretty damn fast too. (NTFS was much slower on my PC.) At least twice as fast as doing a regular boot. Plus you don't have to "reopen" your programs after boot.

Have fun!

Jake

------------------
          ----------------------
          MGA-G200 8Mb Mill. bios ver. 2.3, Abit BH6 mobo bios ver. LN, PIII-450@558, 128Mb PC-133 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 40TS CDROM, Panasonic 7502 CDR. Diamond MX300 A3D PCI soundcard.

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 19 January 2000).]
          ----------------------
          Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Thanks!!! I think that I might just save this little piece of info for my next format, but definately won't just "do this because I can".

Larry

Comment

Working...
            X