• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Terminator", "Deliverance", 23 others chosen for US film preservation

Link...

Library of Congress adds 'Terminator' to archive

(12-30) 04:00 PST Washington --

One of Arnold Schwarzenegger's most famous lines, "I'll be back," will be back for generations to come, now that 1984's "The Terminator" has been selected for preservation in the nation's film archive.

The Library of Congress announced Tuesday that James Cameron's low-budget film, which made now-Gov. Schwarzenegger a movie star, is one of 25 films being added to the National Film Registry.

Other titles being added to the registry include the groundbreaking all-black-cast film "Hallelujah!" the tale of a cotton sharecropper, from 1929; Richard Brooks' 1967 film adaptation of Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood"; and 1972's "Deliverance," based on James Dickey's novel about four businessmen on a nightmarish canoe trip in the remote Georgia wilderness.

As time passes, older nitrate- and acetate-based films begin to deteriorate, Librarian of Congress James Billington said in announcing his 2008 selections. The Library of Congress is working to digitize and preserve endangered film and audio files at a new facility built in a bunker in the hills near Culpeper, Va.

With Tuesday's additions, the total number of films in the registry will reach 500.
    Curators select films based on their cultural, historical or aesthetic significance, and some aren't feature films at all: This year's list includes a family's home movie "Disneyland Dream," documenting a 1956 trip to the then-newly opened park.

Some were selected for their historical value, such as "Hallelujah!," made as MGM was transitioning from silent to sound films. "White Fawn's Devotion," the oldest film selected this year, was made in 1910 by James Young Deer, a member of the Winnebago tribe and the first documented American Indian movie director.

Others inspired the nation during times of trouble, such as Gary Cooper's "Sergeant York" from 1941, the story of a Tennessee pacifist who captured 130 German soldiers in World War I. It was released just months before the United States entered World War II.
    Full list
    1. The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
    2. Deliverance (1972)
    3. Disneyland Dream (1956)
    4. A Face in the Crowd (1957)
    5. Flower Drum Song (1961)
    6. Foolish Wives (1922)
    7. Free Radicals (1979)
    8. Hallelujah (1929)
    9. In Cold Blood (1967)
    10. The Invisible Man (1933)
    11. Johnny Guitar (1954)
    12. The Killers (1946)
    13. The March (1964)
    14. No Lies (1973)
    15. On the Bowery (1957)
    16. One Week (1920)
    17. The Pawnbroker (1965)
    18. The Perils of Pauline (1914)
    19. Sergeant York (1941)
    20. The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)
    21. So’s Your Old Man (1926)
    22. George Stevens WW2 Footage (1943-46)
    23. The Terminator (1984)
    24. Water and Power (1989)
    25. White Fawn’s Devotion (1910)
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I guess when it comes to it, Skynet will be able to easily see why it's no good to mess with us (or...learn few tricks? :/ )

A bit more seriously - people in the future will have a really funny ideas about governor of California from that was in office at the beginning of the XXI century ;P

Completelly serious - it seems they're preserving them in digital form...with storage as cheap as it is, why limit the number so much?...

Comment

The preservation process includes restoration, remastering etc., so time is a factor that limits it to 25/year. They're also digitized in a frame size like what's used in theater digital projectors (big).
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X