Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you run PC100 and PC133 at the same time??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you run PC100 and PC133 at the same time??

Dumb question, I know, but would it be possible to run with a 128MB DIMM of both at the same time???

Reason I'm asking is a friend offered to trade 128MB of his PC133 for 128MB of my PC100.

Paul

------------------
    P3-700 @ 868MHz, ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW,
    SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98
    all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 10 January 2000).]
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

To my understanding, the only difference (visible to 'outside') is the speed they can operate on, so I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work together.

_
    B

Comment

BTW Paul, how did you talk your friend into trading?

_
      B

Comment

Proper protocol says you should not do it, but it should work.

In your BIOS, make sure you Manually set the CAS/RAS/Memory settings to the same thing (3/3/3 would be safest). That way the BIOS won't set the RAM to a setting the PC100 can't handle. Just to be safe you should put the PC100 in DIMM 0 and the PC133 in DIMM 1.

my $0.02

Jammrock

------------------
        PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jammrock, I noticed your newest toy is the Plexwriter 8x4x32. What's it like, I'm on the verge of pressing Submit on the Visa details page.

Comment

My friend actually approached me with the offer. He has a K7-600 on a ASUS K7M mobo and claims to be having problems with the PC133 memory.

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Good reson to trade it for something he knows works.

Why not agree to the trade if your system will work stabily with the mixed memory installed. If he 'only' wants to trade because it dosen't get along with his particular como, this should be a fair deal.

Mark F.

------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 10 January 2000).]
              Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
              --------------------------------------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
              and burped out a movie

Comment

That trade is no surprise really. Ive heard lots of people complain about how picky the AMD 750 chipset is with ram. Ive even come across multiple retailers who sold two kinds of PC100 SDRAM: regular PC100, and marked up PC100 guaranteed to work with Athlon systems.

------------------
                This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

elmes,

The Plextor is a great drive. I highly recommend it.

Every one else,

I have heard of troubles with PC133 RAM and Athlon boards. www.mushkin.com has some Athlon tested and gaurunteed PC133 for Athlons.

Jammrock

------------------
                  PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

We swapped DIMMs this morning. My friend was using Mushkin PC133 (KM44S16030CT-G6)this is not the tested PC133 that Mushkin is offering. The PC100 that I'm using has Micron 8E- modules and is rated at 125MHz. I hope this settles his Athlon/K7M system down.

I'll have to buy him a Hell of a Lunch to make up the difference

Paul

Comment

Paul,
                      If you check Mushkin's site, that Samsung 6ns based stuff has a warning. They go beyond a warning and flat out say it won't work on K7 systems.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks Wombat, I'm hoping his problem is the memory so he goes through with the trade. We also considered his power supply being a potential problem. Anyway the 6ns memory will work just fine in my BE6.

Paul

------------------
                        P3-700 @ 868MHz, ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW,
                        SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98
                        all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

Comment

According to my friend the disclaimer for Muskins PC133 was not there when he ordered the memory for his K7M system. Actually the disclaimer was added recently since he emailed them regarding his problem. Needless to say they have given him a run around regarding the problem. That's why he wanted to trade.
                          Well, I just got finished trying the DIMM out on my system and it causes lockups when used with my Micron PC100. Actually I believe there is a problem with the PC133 Dimm because I have to run it at CAS 3 at 124MHz FSB. My Micron 8E PC100 runs at CAS 2 at 124MHz FSB.
                          So, I guess I will help my friend get his PC133 replaced. I'm very good at harassing people when it comes to something like this

I think Mushkin should replace it.....

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 12 January 2000).]

Comment

Yes. Pestering is an artform. Just ask those a****** at UPS what I'm like.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

A happy ending

We called Mushkin and they agreed to replace the PC133 that they sold my friend. He just got his new 128MB DIMM yesterday. It has the Siemens modules on it and works like a champ.

It's nice to see a company stand by their products. Big Thumbs up to Mushkin for being so nice about it!!!

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X