Toyota loses money for year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota loses money for year

Wonder if their US operation will be asking for TARP funds?

Link...

Toyota to suffer first full-year loss: reports

Japanese auto giant Toyota is likely to suffer its first-ever operating loss in the year to March 2009 due to a stronger yen and a global industry slump, news reports said Friday.

Toyota Motor Corp., which slashed its annual net profit forecast by more than half in November, is expected to downgrade its projections again at a year-end news conference on Monday, the Tokyo Shimbun said.

It would be Toyota's first operating loss since it began releasing earnings figures for the year to March 1941, the Nikkei business daily said.

A Toyota spokeswoman declined comment on the reports, which did not identify their sources or provide figures.

Toyota has for years enjoyed brisk sales and profits as strong interest in its fuel-efficient vehicles put it on course to overtake ailing General Motors as the world's top-selling automaker.

But the Japanese auto giant has since said it is reviewing its expansion plans as the global crisis takes a heavy toll on the industry.

GM and Chrysler -- two of Detroit's Big Three -- are on the verge of collapse, while Japan's second largest automaker Honda Motor Co. this week sharply revised its growth forecasts.

In November, Toyota revised its net profit forecast to 550 billion yen in the current year, down from the 1.25 trillion yen previously projected. That would mark a decline of 68 percent from the previous year.

Toyota also revised its operating profit forecast to 600 billion yen from its earlier estimate of 1,600 billion yen. Sales were newly projected at 25 trillion yen, down from 23 trillion yen forecast earlier.

But the news reports said Toyota would further downgrade its sales and earnings projections as the company was battered by a sharp decline in global auto sales and the yen's continued appreciation against the dollar.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Gee...A Japanese company doesn't make money off us Americans...
    My heart bleeds for them.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Well for little me, sitting here in Denmark - theres no difference between one company or the other.

As usual, we seem to pass through the worst of these happenings unscathed.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Well, Doc has been known to show off his schadenfreude from time to time...
        Last edited by Nowhere; 20 December 2008, 23:56.

Comment

No pleasure taken here at all!!

All the automakers are getting hammered, and bad government economic policy by all comers is a big part of their problems.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 December 2008, 21:42.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

(I've put this previously as edit to my post above, but since I'm especially curious of Doc's response and he might miss it, decided to make another post (yay for postwhoring! ))

But you know, come to think of it...giving "bailout" money to every car manufacturer (though...why limit yourself to cars?) that's making cars in US, in the amount depending on the size of operation and percentage of parts/worksmanship made locally would be only...fair.

And not implementable...

PS. w8...Doc, are you blaming both sides of the government?

Comment

Nothing gets done in the US govt. without Congress and the administration's approval, or at least acquiescence in the case when either holds up the budget or legislation like a whining 5 year old in trade for another pork project or whatever. There are more than enough fingerprints on the bad trade/auto/environmental/economic policy legislation of the last 30 years to go around and all political sides are dirty.

As far as limiting it to native US auto makers, there are several reasons for that. One is to maintain and encourage a domestic manufacturing capability, and it goes far beyond cars. Many companies involved in making parts for the domestic auto makers make other things, but without them these suppliers may suffer greatly -Johnson Controls comes to mind.

Another reason is that the income from the domestics largely stays here while foreign 'transplants' mostly funnel their profits outside the US.

Yet another reason is military supply: who do you think makes the majority of the vehicles and their replacement parts used by all the armed forces, Toyota? Honda? Kia?

The list goes on.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 December 2008, 01:13.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

UH OH - another potential pull-out of F1?
                FT.

Comment

Working...
                X