Cannot Receive Certain Attachments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Receive Certain Attachments

I don't believe this is an internal problem, given the number of attachments we successfully at work every day. It was only happening with one client, but a second just joined the very short list last week. Both, oddly enough, are in the Washington, DC area. I was hoping someone might recognize the problem and suggest a solution I could pass on, or if necessary, implement.

In Eudora, the email message comes in and the program notes an attachment and where it put it. However, the attachment is not the Word or Excel file the sender intended.

The file aways contains a lot of nonsense code (Wing Dings, non-English characters, etc.), some page breaks, and the text from the original email message, sometimes without the spaces. The file's name is always the same as the text in the email message's subject header, unless the suject header is long. In this case, it just cuts the title off at a certain point. The file is not associated with any Windows software that I know of.

There is never any trace of the *intended* attachment in the file we actually receive.

If I download the file using Outlook Express, it doesn't even acknowledge that there was an attachment.

If anyone recognizes these symptoms, I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Lol, my dad has the same problem, hehehe (he uses Netscape)
    SO i guess its some kind of virus...

Hey Paul, i am on flashcom too!
    blah blah blah

Comment

Check if the mail program is using MIME/HTML or plain text. I've had some problems with sending attachements when I used my composer in text format.

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hey Speeder. Does your father have problems sending or receiving attachments.

I'm almost certain this is an encoding issue. The person we're having problems with sent us an attachment yesterday and copied my boss in Tennessee. Two different ISP's, two different POP servers, and the attachment didn't make it to either.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

just a guess, but does that client use AOL and its built-in mailing system ???
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I certainly hope not. The user is a social scientist with the US Department of the Interior, and I'd like to do everything in my power to avoid giving more of the taxpayers money to Federal Express when we should be receiving these documents via email and for free.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hi paulcs! This may not be the problem you are describing but I've experienced a similar problem before. I've noticed that if you send a message, in rich text format, with an attachment from either Outlook or Exchange to someone who has either Eudora or Outlook express, the same behavior you have described will occur. However, you can send attachments from those two programs in either HTML or plain text format and the attachment arrives intact. This may not be your problem, but it's worth checking out. I don't know any other solution other than to send in HTML or plain text format.

Cheers!

------------------
              ABIT BH-6, Celeron 300A @450, 128MB RAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, US Robotics 56K modem, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

[This message has been edited by Manex (edited 07 January 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Manex (edited 07 January 2000).]
              ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Comment

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Problem solved. As suspected, it was an encryption issue. My client was using Outlook and the rich text format. (Good call!) He switched to plain text, and sucessfully sent us and others a MS Word test document.

A short while after sending his first attachment in weeks, he discovered that some variant of the Melissa virus was on his machine, and that he may have infected the machines of several business associates, friends, and relatives, including mine.

The poor guy then had to send off that embarassing "Dear Friends, I may have sent you a virus ..." letter. Happily, he got to send a second message saying he had reason to believe their anti-virus software had nipped this problem in the bud before the attachment got to us. This appears to be true.

So, thank you again.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                  X