Copying Cassettes to CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copying Cassettes to CD

Can someone let me know what it would take to copy some casettes to CD?

I'm planning to buy some language tapes and want to copy them to CD as I don't even own a tape deck (I'll have to borrow one to do this).

The language course doesn't come in CD so this is my only option. The course costs around $40, so I don't want to put much, if any money, into the copying process.

As long as they're audible & somewhat clear, sound quality isn't the biggest issue.

I have a SB Live! Value & Sony CD-RW (IDE).

Thanks in advance!

------------------
    PIII @ 550
    IWill Motherboard
    VIA Chipset
    128Meg
    G400 DH 32MB (5.41 Drivers)
    DirectX 7.0
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Optiquest V95 19"
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

I'd also be curious how best to do this, because I have many old concert tapes (Grateful Dead) that I would like to convert to CD to preserve them. Actually, it would be nice to also be able to "clean them up" as well.
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Well, as I have a lead from my Line-Out to my stereo-tower, so I can hear music and games through my stereo tower, I think I would be able to plug it in the Line-In as well, and plug the lead into the tape-Line-Out, to record music playing from tape onto my harddrive.

I must say I don't want to try it at this moment, for I'm about to move and there's already alot of junk lying around in my room, plus the cassette-player (Sony HX PRO TC-WR870 dual-record cassette drive) is at the bottom of my tower, with alot of dust and cables in the way, (and can anyone still follow this sentence?), so maybe when I've moved.

There's alot of music programs around though (some full ones were given away on a PC Format CD-ROM not too long ago) that can burn the music back onto a CD.

Jorden, not alot of help, but still a little
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Woo Hoo! Exactly what I was looking for!

Would I just need a cord like on walkman headsets but with male leads on both ends? One end goes into the headphone jack on tape deck/boom box and the other into the microphone jack on SB?

I'd prob. burn them as standard CD files as I want to use them in my car as well. I'd down sample them to keep them a manageable size.
        PIII 550@605
        IWill Motherboard VD133
        VIA Chipset
        512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
        DirectX 8.0a
        SB Live! Value
        8x DVD (Toshiba)
        6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
        Intel Pro/100+ NIC
        3Com CMX Cable Modem
        Optiquest V95 19"
        HP 812C Color Ink Jet
        Microtek flatbed scanner
        Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

One other thing... I can't remember the name of the software right now, but I do remember that there is a product that is specifically designed to "improve" sound quality from cassette tapes by removing tape hiss and crackles. I believe that the software uses the same technology pioneered by a group dedicated to preserving audio recordings from old vinyl albums....

Guyv er NCC-1701LB
          What happened?

Comment

Sound Forge! and a product called Noise Reduction that is DirectX stream compatible...

Guyver
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Cool Edit 2000! Gives you lot's of options and even lets you to remove a selected noises from the record. (like hissing, cracks, engines.... everything, you select a smaple of what you want to remove and it will remove it from the record)... not to mention the other sound manipulation abilities.

Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

http//www.syntrillium.com
                Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Ready for links??

Music Studio

Total EJay

Music Maker

MicroLogic Music

Jorden.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Turbo. I didn't realize Line-Out & the headphone jack weren't the same thing. Do all tape decks have a line-out?

Is that where you would typically hook the tape deck to the rest of the stereo? The cords are different between those jacks & what I can put in the back of my SB. I imagine I could get a cord from Radio Shack or someplace similar?

Is the line-in on the SB the microphone jack?

Thanks for all the input, everyone!
                    PIII 550@605
                    IWill Motherboard VD133
                    VIA Chipset
                    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                    DirectX 8.0a
                    SB Live! Value
                    8x DVD (Toshiba)
                    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                    3Com CMX Cable Modem
                    Optiquest V95 19"
                    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                    Microtek flatbed scanner
                    Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

Actually. if theres an impedence mis-match, it shouldnt destroy your card. Not unless the impedence from a headphone jack AND the Line-in jack is incredibly low (results in high current). If the impedences of the source and target are off, the delivered power drops regardless or whether the target has a higher or lower impedence. The general rule for audio equipment is to try and MATCH impedences so you deliver the most power. Anyone know the standard impedence for a headphone jack and the Live?

------------------
                      This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

Working...
                      X