intellimouse explorer USB woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intellimouse explorer USB woes...

why is it that my intellimouse explorer sometimes "freezes" when i am starting my computer? my PS/2 mouse never did this. please help me. is there a way to overclock the USB ports somehow, or is there a BIOS tweak or something? thanks.

------------------
    -Campbell "aNtHrAx323" Krueger
    anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
    AMD K6-III 400 at 112x4.0 at 2.3V
    Asus P5A
    96 MB SD-RAM (the old 66 MHz... stable enough tho =)
    Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual-Head
    Diamond Sonic Impact S90 PCI
    Linksys LNE100TX WOL PCI Ethernet adapter
    Processor is a peltier/Alpha cooling combo, avg. temp is around 85 F.

http://anthrax.home.texas.net
    -Campbell "aNtHrAx323" Krueger
    anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
    Dual Celeron 400s (week 52 i think) @ 588 @ 2.05v (air-cooled, no peltiers)
    Abit BP6 (w/ QQ BIOS and HPT366 1.22 BIOS)
    128 MB of PC133 SD-RAM (Athlon-grade)
    Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual-Head
    Diamond Monster Sound MX300
    3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL
    Western Digital Expert 20.5 GB ATA/66 7200 RPM drive

the aXion gaming network

It might be a problem in your mobo's BIOS. Did you check for a setting alike "Set USB for DOS" or something like that? Or "Set IRQ to USB".

I've seen on some PCs that it loads DOS compatible drivers interfering with the USB ports, using the same IRQ as the USB ports.

As far as I know there's no way to OC USB. You might want to wait for USB 2.0 anyway (3 to 4 times the speed USB now has... wow, real video to video if ADSL sets through! But that aside )

Just give your IRQ listing so we can check. Or do check for yourself if it's using the same IRQ as something else in your system.

Jorden.

------------------
    Who needs a cookie when we got Gator and Cheese?

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Describe this "freezing" that your mouse suffers from. I have the same mouse and am running Win98SE. Whenever my comp starts up(desktop appears) and until certain apps load up into my system tray, my mouse will "freeze" for a few seconds or so. This, I am told, is normal. Windows is just loading up all the bloat(including support for USB ports/periphs).
      Other than that, I could not say what exactly is the problem. Maybe if you watch what is being loaded when your mouse "freezes" in your system tray... That might help you find out what is causing the lag.... Sorry, I can't help you out much more than this.

(Doh! reread your post, and realized that I missed the word "sometimes".)

[This message has been edited by Grail (edited 08 January 2000).]
      Epox 8RDA+
      AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
      512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
      ATI 8500 64mb
      Hercules Fortissimo II
      Tekram DC-315U
      Pioneer DVD 303S
      Pioneer DVR-106
      Zip100 Internal
      Logitech MX 500 Mouse
      Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
      Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
      Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
      LG Flatron 795FT+
      Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
      Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Comment

Strangly enough, I bought a Intellimouse explorer today and couldn´t get it to work using usb... it was detected, the drivers installed, but windows still couldn´t find a mouse when starting. Usb hub is sharing irq11 with sblive (yes, I know, I know, bad karma going on over there). Using the ps2 port, all is fine, smooth as silk. And I mean smoooooooth! What I found very amusing is that the default windows98 ps2 rate is 40 hz, but the Intellipoint drivers set it to 80 Hz... I know that you can set it at what you want using ps2rate.exe, but for the average user, I´m sure a Microsoft mouse will look smoother than the others... smart move.

But overall I would like some advice on the usb stuff.

Comment

I, too, have an intellimouse explorer, but have been using the PS2 adapter, no problems here, later I will plug it into my USB port to see what blows up.

Rags

Comment

I had alot of probs getting it to run in USB, also...
            I have an Asus K7M...with the 4 USB ports...and ended up having to just enable the first two ports (0 & 1)...I had just been through a major experience with setting up a home LAN....alot of the NICs would cause probs...for example, in UT...where it scans for servers...it would constantly LOCK...anyway...once I went to the 2, instead of 4 USB posts...all has been fine...
            I have noticed that when I go through the process of changing the jumper for "without PS/2 DATA" and disable the PS/2 Mouse support in the BIOS...and plug the Explorer into the USB...all the IRQ's (of course) change...and it has also caused some probs...finally got around it by installing the (I have Adaptec U2W) SCSI first, of course..then the NIC, then the Aureal 2500SQ...
            If I do it in any other order seems to make system unstable...
            Also, I have noticed that there are 2 devices listed for the mouse...when using the USB (and this isn't left over from the PS/2, I had reinstalled 98!!!)...
            Once I had everything going, though, it seems to run great, and I really like it, especially in gaming!!!
            Kelin

Comment

I have a K7M also, and it only freezes when i dissconnect from the net - something to do with USB Modem, but only lasts a second.

Comment

I don't have the Explorer version, just the regular intellimouse w/intellieye. It's sharing a IRQ with my SB live as well. I haven't had any trouble. It's sharing 12 tho, 11 is given over to my G400.

Rick
                Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

i also have a intelimouse explorer. nice mouse. no problems on the usb port. (msi6167)
                  msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                  it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Hey how about listing your O/S's? There is an upgrade for USB on the MS site for 98, pre SE. I have the Explorer and other than normal USB hitches it works fine. I bet that most of the problems here are IRQ.

One thing is that there are no more boot-ups with your mouse...

But all you guys read the review on my site now right? <A HREF="http://members.xoom.com/Trainwrecker/mousereview/Intellimous%20explorer.htm" target=_top>Trainwreckers Intellimouse Explorer Mouse Review</A>

Comment

Why, besides the novelty, are any of you using the USB port for your mouse anyway? The USB has substantially lower priority than the mouse port, and higher compatibility problems...

- Gurm

------------------
                      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Because when you have another USB device, you don't need another IRQ for the mouse, and the mouse movements are much smoother. BTW I have no problems whatsoever with my USB mouse.

Comment

Hunsow: I agree with the IRQ part, if you have another usb device, you spare an IRQ. A PS2 mouse usually will grab IRQ 12, and that com port IRQ 3/4 isn´t of much use. But I disagree in the smoothness subject. That´s because USB mice have a higher sampling rate than ps2 ones (40 hz default). But with a program called ps2rate you can set the ps2 sampling rate to 200hz for all the smoothness you want. Even the MS intellipoint drivers do the trick of setting the sampling to 80 hz, as I stated.

Comment

I have the USB Intellimouse Explorer Hooked up to a belkin 4 port USB hub connected 15' away to a Win 98 SE system hooked to a RPTV. The mouse kicks Butt! I do have a problem when I connect my webcam though - the mouse/USB keyboard go dead - I think it is a HUB/Power problem.

Comment

I've used ps2rate (in win2k and w98se there is an option like that build in the default driver) with some succes. 80Hz is the maximum useable setting, any higher and the mouse movement becomes jumpy, NOT smooth at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X