Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schedule tv recordings

Just a question:
    when you schedule TV recording on a (homebuilt) htpc, does it go into a sort of sleep mode, or does the pc just keeps on running?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

On my old htpc setup I actually had the bios wake up the computer 30 minutes before the recording was due to start.
    For that machine any kind of sleep/standby would not wake up correctly without bios tweaking

My current tuner card actually has a wake up jumper to tell the computer to start up, I have not tested this but I think it will probably rely on it's native pinnacle software to function. eg probably won't work with mediaportal, but I should really test it (might do that tonight)

I think without some hardware support your best bet is to have powersavings on so it can go in low power mode but don't let actually suspend or standby.
    eg something like set as laptop, but standy/power down.(for XP )

Also there are some free little programs around that can set wakeup times from windows, though ihave not tried them yet either.

Comment

If you use the bios, I assume you must set it manually in there?

I am thinking of building a gaming/htpc rig, but it just hit me: if a videocard consumes 40W when idling, and the system is running 24/7...
      I believe Vista has quite detailed powersettings, but I don't know if it can completely power down some plugged in equipment (my current PC is too old to support many of those things).
      Might have to reconsider a number of things, maybe even abandoning it for now and splitting it in two rigs in time... One rig for both htpc/gaming needs to be quiet, which is tough (and possibly expensive) to acchieve. When splitting into two rigs, the cost save by silencing the unit could well suffice for the additional components of a second rig...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

If you want my 2p, media centre PCs are a complete PITA. Hard to do well. Instead get a consumer electronics device. There's a million of them out there. My HTPC is collecting dust the corner of the room. It was replaced by V+ (cable version of sky+) and a DVD/Divx player.
        FT.

Comment

Yes, I am aware of that, but the alternatives look even worse...

Anno 2008, I'm still recording TV to a VHS recorder, and I want to get rid of it. My parents have a high range hdd recorder, but I find it too limited (esp. regarding archiving recordings). Given the features I'd like, I have the impression a PC is the only way to go.

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

My mac actually wakes from even power off state and boots if a recording is scheduled.

Just here to make you jealous
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hehe...

Well, apparently, the same might be possible with PC.
              Too bad that apple don't have a device specifically aimed at this purpose (AppleTV is too limitid IMO).

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                My mac actually wakes from even power off state and boots if a recording is scheduled.
                You have got me thinking...

But it looks like just so much hassle: mac mini, external tuner(s), external storage (additional), ...
                Is there a way of doing this elegantly?
                pixar

Comment

There is elegant external storage that looks like a mac mini and is stackable. The tuners would have to hide, though, of course.

With EyeTV and USB it's no hassle at all, though!

Comment

Can you use multiple EyeTV's connected to a mac?
                    (is realtime compression to mpeg2/4 possible? in EyeTV hardware or in software?)

Is multi-channel audio output possible? (if I read correctly, the mac mini does have a digital out optical out)

Which video modes are possible for output (hdmi? analog modes?)?

Can one use a regular external (usb/firewire) blu-ray drive?

Can one connect multiple displays?
                    (edit: there are usb solutions, http://uk.kensington.com/html/14438.html )

The frontrow application looks cool, does it work with the EyeTVs ?

Jörg
                    Last edited by VJ; 9 December 2008, 03:06.
                    pixar

Comment

Pinnacle tv cards do support wakeup, however there software is to buggy for me.

That might just be xp thing, becasue it says vista ready allover the box.

I really like my HTPC, gaming , dvb-t and compatabilty with any video format I can find. And I don't mind tinkering here and there.

However for my less than pc literate friends and family, I would recomend some consumer device.
                      I am to %$^& sick an tired of providing "support", and its always endless support as they want do one my thing someone else on the intenet does no matter how obscure.

Comment

Yes, I feel a HTPC will suit me better than a consumer device (but I recommended my parents to get a normal hdd recorder ).

Still, az made me wonder about the mac mini, but the more I read and think about, the less I feel it is a solution for me. I figure that with properly selected hardware and Vista media center (or MediaPortal or something similar), things ought to be relatively fine.

Jörg
                        Last edited by VJ; 9 December 2008, 05:54.
                        pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                          Can you use multiple EyeTV's connected to a mac?
                          I think so.

(is realtime compression to mpeg2/4 possible? in EyeTV hardware or in software?)
                          There are different EyeTV models, some include hardware encoders. DVB signals are MPEG encoded already, though, so there would be no need to transcode. There is also a hardware h.264 encoder as a USB stick available from elgato.

Is multi-channel audio output possible? (if I read correctly, the mac mini does have a digital out optical out)
                          Dunno.

Which video modes are possible for output (hdmi? analog modes?)?
                          On my Macbook, I use DVI out and upscale TV to my TFT's native resolution (1680x1050).

Can one use a regular external (usb/firewire) blu-ray drive?
                          EyeTV is not a video player. Well, it is of course a video player for its own recordings, but it won't play anything else (at least without some persuasion - I don't know if that's at all possible. Technically, it includes at least an MPEG player component).

Can one connect multiple displays?
                          (edit: there are usb solutions, http://uk.kensington.com/html/14438.html )
                          Matrox DualHead2Go?

The frontrow application looks cool, does it work with the EyeTVs ?
                          Kinda. There's a skin that makes EyeTV look like Front Row, and a plugin that allows one to launch EyeTV from Front Row. I think you can control Front Row with the EyeTV remote (which, btw, needs line of sight to the eyeTV hardware), and you can control the very basic functions of EyeTV with the Mac's little white remote (which needs line of sight to the Mac).

I suggest either perusing Elgato's forums or just taking the plunge and buying a Mac and EyeTV. Their resale values are quite high, and a Mac Mini still makes one of the best home servers out there.

Oh, BTW, you can of course upgrade the Mac Mini's RAM and HD yourself.

EDIT: And you can of course always install Windows on it. The Hardware's really good. You won't get a machine that small, silent, powerful and with a power draw this low for the money if you try and build it yourself (much less if you buy barebones or mini-PCs from PC manufacturers).

Comment

There are different EyeTV models, some include hardware encoders. DVB signals are MPEG encoded already, though, so there would be no need to transcode. There is also a hardware h.264 encoder as a USB stick available from elgato.
                            I need analog tuners...
                            I saw that hardware encoder though...

On my Macbook, I use DVI out and upscale TV to my TFT's native resolution (1680x1050).

EyeTV is not a video player. Well, it is of course a video player for its own recordings, but it won't play anything else (at least without some persuasion - I don't know if that's at all possible. Technically, it includes at least an MPEG player component).
                            Well, my point is: if you connect a blu ray drive, and play back a movie, can you get full HD quality? (from what I see, I'm thinking... no)

Matrox DualHead2Go?
                            Nope, that would require both displays in the same resolution. I meant something for different resolutions (but usb is an option).

I have sort of figured out the configuration I'd get for pc (apart from some details), and feel it will be more what I'm looking for...
                            But I'll check further just to make sure!
                            pixar

Comment

Working...
                            X