Help, I lost my cd key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, I lost my cd key

Hi, this is kind of rediculous and I feel like a dumb ass, but I lost my cd key for windows S.E. I need to reinstall it, but (obviously) I can't. If someone can help me get one, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks very much.

Once again, I feel like a dumbass...
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

look onto your handbook ...

it's on that barcode sticker.

you are not really asking for a software key in a public forum , are you ?
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

and for a Microsoft product .

Makes you wonder if any Microsoft employee looks on these forums ? or better yet has a g400 ?

MS guy are you out there ?

[This message has been edited by andrei (edited 09 January 2000).]

Comment

No Maggie@home, I'm not asking for a cd key on a public forum. I'm posting a problem I'm having due to the cd key having been lost... I know the cd key is on the barcode sticker, but that's the thing I lost. If anyone has seen a cd key lying around, I'd appreciate letting me know where it was last you saw it (maybe it's mine)...
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
        --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Maggi, thank you for saying it, and so politely, too!

Muad'Dib, this won't help you "find" your key, but I would advise that, having "found" it... WRITE IT DOWN!!! On the title page of the handbook. On a label that you put on the CD case, or the one inside it, (the back label-- you'll have to dismantle the jewel case, but at least you won't lose it). Invest in a permanent marker and write it on the CD itself.

Your keys are far too crucial to lose... or to give out to people. Because if I, a registered user, gave you my key, we'd both be software pirates.

And you don't want that, I'm sure.

-------------------------
          Holly
          Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
          -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Errr.... my key was on a sticker on the back of the jewel case. Did you buy a brand-name PC or something? If so...maybe you can just reinstall Windows from those proprietary recovery disks they give you.

<font size=5> Hey, waitaminute!!! I found it!!!</font>

If you have Windows up.... go to the Device Manager. Your key is right there on the General tab!!!

Hope you see this before you've trashed the OS....

---------------------
            Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 09 January 2000).]

Comment

Hi Muad'Dib,

If you are currently running an installation of SE, goto start/run type regedit, goto HKEY_Local_Machine/software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion and on the Current Version folder, next to "ProductKey" is your key

Rags

Comment

Holly,

That is not his product key, that is his product ID, two different things.

Rags

Comment

Oh, you're right, Rags, I was fooled by that 'OEM' in the middle...

.... ah well... though I guess in a total pinch one could call MS and use that to get them to give one the key, right?

Any port in a storm

--------------------
                  Holly

Comment

It's in the registry somewhere !!

will look for a link.

Editing this to give the link:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\ProductKey

Jorden.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 09 January 2000).]
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Yeah, I suppose you could call MS, but why do that when you can find it for yourself? 8-)

Rags

Comment

Jorden,

Ermmmm..... didn't I already post where to find it in your registry???

If you are currently running an installation of SE, goto start/run type regedit, goto HKEY_Local_Machine/software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion and on the Current Version folder, next to "ProductKey" is your key
                        8-)

Rags

Comment

Sorry Matt, scanned too quickly...

But: Better twice than never
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Errr.... because I was looking for some way in which my suggestion could actually be useful, instead of just a dumb mistake, if you <u>must</u> know, Rags....

------------------------
                            Holly

Comment

Geez Matt, I guess he doesn't know where to find it... And My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\ProductKey

is sooooo easy
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X