Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does having a DVD drive and Hard drive on the same IDE channel effect performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does having a DVD drive and Hard drive on the same IDE channel effect performance?

I would too pit but its full

Primary Channel
    Master-12gig Bigfoot
    second-16gig IBM DTTA

Secondary Channel
    Master 2xDVD Creative
    second 20gig Maxtor

see my problem!
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

after playing about with it
    it only stutters if DVD MAX is enabled????

If i disable duelhead then it plays fine???

whats that about? it used to work fine

I'll re-install powerdesk and see if that helps
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Just a few thoughts:

1. If your new Maxtor is a UDMA66 drive and your board does not support this, you will need to download Maxtor's patch to keep the HD in UDMA33 mode. This way the bios will treat it as UDMA33 and it should run smoother. A motherboard bios upgrade can not make an older chipset recognize UDMA66 - that has to be built into the chipset.

2. I would install the Maxtor as the primary and the DVD as the slave. Some HD's like this and others don't care. I have a Maxtor too, but I've never tried it as a slave.

RAB
      AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

GENERAL HARDWARE
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Ooops sorry about that your quite right
          General Hardware..
          though because the problems DVDMax related arnt it isnt even general hardware is it?

anyhow, My motherboard supports UDMA 66, but i am running it as a UDMA 33, I do not have an 80 cable connector lead thing, and on boot up it says, Secondary IDE not 80 pin thingy, if you know what i mean. I just thought it would run it as a 33. I certanly didnt think DVD peformance would be effected?

Comment

Does having a DVD drive and Hard drive on the same IDE channel effect performance?

Hi,
            I could play DVD's fine up until a day ago
            when i fitted my New 20gig hard drive.

My DVD (a creative labs 2x like you used to get with the the old DXR2)
            is the master on the second IDE and all was fine. I made my new hard drive a slave on the Second IDE and since then have done a reinstall of windows. I have reinstalled the Matrox DVD player and everything is now set as it was before.. but now watching Shaespear in Love is jerky periodically, at the begining, the long pan and a certain points through the film, it also hung half way *where it switches layers perhaps* which i have NEVER seen before.

So could this be my problem, that the new hard drive occupies the same IDE as the DVD?
            does anyone know if it will improve performance if i switch them round so the HD is the Second Master, and the DVD is Second Slave???

any one know what im talking about???
            :O( CMB

Comment

hi,

This should not affect it. As long as you made sure that DMA is still enabled for your DVD drive.

If you are not sure, you can always disconnect your hard drive to compare...

Comment

A good idea.
                I have a new VIA chipset on my motherboard, and also updated the bios and the via 4in1 drivers Before i had a seperate utility to give me UDMA now its back in windows hands i think. It lists my DVD as being UDMA checked..
                i think ill delete it and get window to redetect it then try again, then ill unplug it :O) thanks

Comment

I would place the hard disk as master on the primary ide channel. Sometimes hardware is finicky over what it shares channels with. This way is the best way to avoid sillies like this.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

just wondering if anyone has thought of a fix???
                    i thought i had fixed it but its still there
                    anoyoing judder grrrr
                    anyone else had a prob like this?

Comment

I'm not sure about the DVD stuttering, but you owe it to yourself to beg, borrow or steal an 80 wire cable and set up your new UDMA66 Maxtor drive as the primary on IDE 1 and boot from it. Get that old Leadfoot, oops, I mean Bigfoot out of the primary position. Get Windows and your most used programs on the fastest drive you have. Since you just reloaded Windows, I hope its still a simple installation and you haven't yet added all the old programs back to that drive so you can unload it easily.

Once you get the Maxtor set up as your boot drive, by all means run it in UDMA 66 mode. You will be amazed how much faster it is. If the DVD will run in DMA mode, put that on the primary cable with the Maxtor and it might even solve your stuttering problem. My Maxtor and Toshiba 1212 DVD are on the same cable and work great that way. If your DVD will not run in DMA mode, then put it on the other cable and put a UDMA 33 drive on the primary.

RAB
                      AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

disconnect the new drive but leave the settings as they are. does the stuttering still occur? if so then it's a software bug rather than a hardware conflict. If the stuttering goes away then the maxtor doesnt like the being a slave (who would) and is causing problems with the dvd. If you are worried about the drive letters changing then try running the maxtor as the slave on the primary channel (it might not fight so much with another hdd) run whatever was on the primary slave as secondary master and leave the dvd on the second channel as a slave. see what happens

------------------
                        p3 450@600. bx6 ver 2. 128mb unbranded pc100. iwill 2930u scsi, diamond pro pci modem, advansys 1505 isa scsi, SB Live!, pioneer dvd103s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, ricoh 1420 cdr, ibm 13.5gb @ 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                        Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                        Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

ok this is really weried.
                          I thought i had got it running but it soon went jittery again. I then restored everything to how it was, unplugged the power to the 20gig so it would not be detected, then ghosted windows back to how it was. tried to play it and it was jittery
                          But it used to play flawlessly.
                          grrrrrrrrr
                          the problem iu am describing as jittery is normal playback, then there is a stuttered picture, or an audio drop out whereas before playback was flawless. It always happens at the same part of films and is never random. The opening of shakespear in love has been my benchmark so far. the pan down ward as speech and music become louder and the audotorium fill the screen there becomes drop out. could this be a data transfer problem. UDMA is enabled in windows.
                          the only thing i can think is that the data isnt getting there fast enough now.
                          (i have a 2x Creatie DVD drive)

would a faster dvd drive solve this?
                          anyone else had this symptom in dvd playback and fixed it?
                          i have a P3450 256mg and the other stuff listed here, along with a Jetway BX200 Motherboard with a VIA chipset (i have latest drivers on.

Maybe thats it?
                          i installed the drivers. but now i cant find the old ones anywhere. Before Via used to have its own DMA program. Now its done in windows. Could this be the cause i wonder?
                          if the UDMA protocol has changed and the DVD drive doesnt like it. Then the data throughput wouldnt be as high hence stuttering in specific DVD scenes?

any of this make sense?

Comment

unplug the ide lead from the drive. When the power is removed there may still be some pathways that effect the way the board sees the ide channel.

As for the speed, a 2x drive will provide more than enough data for the movie playback. A home dvd only runs at 1x so 2x is loads.

Try reorienting the ide cable. Maybe there is a loose connection that causes the jitters.
                            1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                            Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                            Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

birdy is right. I can tell you from personal experience that the some part of the logic of the IDE controller on the HD is still functional, even w/o power. I had a similar episode with two HD's. You must unplug the IDE cable from the drive, or it will still have a presence on the IDE chain (just try to do an IDE auto-detect with the cable in, but unpowered -- man does that give a BIOS a bad day).
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X