HRx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRx

I was perusing my favorite classical music studio, Reference Recordings, today and spotted this:

HRx is a DVD-R containing 100% uncompressed 176.4 kHz/24-bit WAV files copied bit-for-bit from the digital master. They can only be played from a computer at the moment, and require a beefy audio card, but wow! Talk about a fine music source
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Why do you suppose they are recorded at 176.4? Rather than 192? Is that to make it easier to downsample to 44.1?

Cool though... Also Linn do a similar thing... http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-formats.aspx

But you can download them.

Comment

That's what his, their recording engineer Keith Johnson, equipment records at apparently. Btw, 44.1 * 4 = 176.4, so that would be a nice easy downsample I would guess.

Currently, our recording equipment includes "Prof." Johnson's highly customized microphones and hand-built electronics, Pacific Microsonics digital converters operating at high sampling rates, and storage on tape decks by Tascam. We record two-channel masters at 176.4 kHz, 24-bits, and discrete five-channel masters at 88.2 kHz, 24-bits for future release in high-resolution surround sound.
      The reviews I've seen of the HRx recording say they are amazing. I'll have to pick up one some day.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
      X