My Speakers Died!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Speakers Died!!

Life sucks. I am working at my computer listening to a CD, when all of the sudden no more sound. The speakers are Cambridge Soundworks that I have had for just over 2 years. Apparently something happened with the power, since the power light will not come on. Anyone ever have a problem like this with thtese speakers?

Having no sound on your computer sucks ass and I don't have another set of speakers handy!
    P4 2.53GHz, Intel D845PEBT2, 1GB Ram, G400 Max, Adaptec 19160 running, 2 Maxtor 18GB 10KRPM HD, Toshiba 40/10 SCSI DVD-Rom, Plextor 32/12/10 SCSI CD-RW, Seagate 80GB Barracuda IV, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Viewsonic G790 19" Monitor

I'm not familiar with those speakers. I assume they're self-amplified. If so, is there a fuse in there somewhere?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It's not the same thing, but I had a similar kind of problem when my PC power supply went belly up. It was an overclocked pentiumpro system with scsi and all kinds of power hungry things. A few weeks after I added some more ram, I was using it one evening and *poof* it died with a slight electrical burn smell. I was milking that 250W power supply too much.

I've never had any cambridge soundworks speakers, so I can't help you there. If you are good with electronics, you might can crack it open and get out a digital multimeter to see where it died. Perhaps it is something as simple as a fuse that burned out as Wombat suggested.

Comment

I had PCWorks speakers.... please excuse the idiocy of this question, but has someone perhaps accidentally kicked the sub, knocking the power cord out?

Just checking.

No fuse on the PCWorks that I ever saw, and afaik the Soundworks are a very similar set of boxes...

What else is plugged into that outlet or strip? Is it all working? As I recall, the power cord is a standard plug into the sub, with a big honkin' transformer plug... can you switch power cords briefly? Just to see if it's the cord or the sub?

------------------------
        Holly

Comment

Hmm, if there's a transformer hub, is it still warm when it is plugged in?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The power supply is built into the sub, so I can't change the power cord (it is hard-wired). I tried plugging it into other outlets, but no go. I took the sub apart and the transformer was still warm, but there are no replacable parts in the sub.

It is just a bitch to have to replace something you don't expect to have to replace. They are nice speakers so it is one computer part that I didn't have on my list of things to upgrade when I had some extra cash. I paid $200 for the speakers 2 years ago and they are now selling at their web site for $80, so that is good (I guess). And the satellites still work, so I plugged them into my stereo system for an extra pair of speakers. Time to start saving for those new Klipsh speakers.....

Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chasbo (edited 09 January 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Chasbo (edited 09 January 2000).]
            P4 2.53GHz, Intel D845PEBT2, 1GB Ram, G400 Max, Adaptec 19160 running, 2 Maxtor 18GB 10KRPM HD, Toshiba 40/10 SCSI DVD-Rom, Plextor 32/12/10 SCSI CD-RW, Seagate 80GB Barracuda IV, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Viewsonic G790 19" Monitor

Comment

Working...
            X