Dolby Digital Output from a soundcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolby Digital Output from a soundcard

I am currently a very happy user of a G400 32MB Dual head, and am now a proud owner of the Cambridge DTT2500 speakers that have support for dolby digital input. At the current moment I have an SB AWE32 and am looking for a soundcard that has digital out and can output an AC3 stream with the Matrox DVD player. After some looking around I am quite interested in the SB Live X-Gamer but am unsure if I can get the AC3 stream with it. Does anyone have any idea?
    The poster formerly known as "ahardjan"

relocated to GENERAL HARDWARE
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Check this thread for all your answers: http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/006932.html
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Check out the Xitel Storm Platnum. It has digital output via a toslink connection, exactly made what you are looking for.
        http://www.zitel.com

Warchild

Comment

From what I understand a TOSLink connection is strictly an optical connection right? So I cannot hook it up to my DTT2500 which have a coax input.

Comment

TOSLINK and SPDIF are exactly the same exceptoneis optical and the other is electrical.

goto www.minidisc.org then choose a mirror and youll find a converter in the hardware hacks section.

Abit BX6 Rev.1
            Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
            192 meg RAM, CAS2
            13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
            6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
            HP8110i 4x2x24
            Pioneer DVD-104
            SB Live! 1024
            USB ZIP 100
            G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
            Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
            YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

If you need an RCA spdif connector (not optical), get an sblive. Either the original full version (expensive) or a value plus the digital daughter card.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Also note that people are having trouble getting the new sblive xgamer and mp3+ cards (with built in spdif connectors) to pass through ac-3 signals. You have to add the daughter card for it to work.

Comment

Okay thanks for the tips everyone. I was eyeing the SBLive! X-Gamer but it will appear that I will have to save up some more cash to get the real SBLive.

Comment

Just wondering... I have been looking around and have noticed that most retailers in the Toronto, Ontario area do not carry the classic SB Live! anymore and only carry the SB Live! Platinum. Will that work for the AC3 output or is the daughter card readily available as I have yet to find any reference to it's availability on the Creative Labs site.

Comment

Cretive has stopped making the daughter card. That's why the new Live! X-Gamer and MP3+ cards have digital outs on them now.
                      If you need everything, you probably have to go for the Platinum now.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Diamond has announced the Monster Sound MX400. It apparently has full dolby digital support through it's coaxial spdif. You may want to wait for some reviews though...

Comment

...and the SBLive platinum is basically the replacement of the original SBLive. Should work just fine.

Comment

I recently purchased a sblive 1024 retail, not the expensive platinum, with a 3,5mm spdif out onboard. I hooked my pc up to my sony str-db830 receiver and with the matrox cinemaster dvd player adn dvdgenie 3.2 I got ac3 right-a-way. I'm using an ordinary audio cable stereo of wich I only use the left channel to connect it to the receiver's coax digital input. It's just perfect.

Before I set it up like this I've read a lot about it. people having all sorts of problems. I don't understand it, for me it worked on the first try.

The settings: in the live mixer enabled digital output only +sign above volume.
                            dvdgenie AC3/spdif output mode: sblive cm98,
                            checked enable spdif.
                            with powerdvd 2.5 the setup is even simpler just select ac3 output in the control panel

Abit bx6 rev.2, PIII-450, 128 Mb sdram
                            Toshiba 12x dvd, Maxtor 7,5 Gb 7200 rpm
                            G400 oem 4x 32Mb dual, SBLive 1024 retail
                            Live ware 3.0, PD 5.41

Comment

Isn't there another company that makes the daughter card? I think I may have seen it once on www.3dsoundsurge.com
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X