"Star Trek" trailer #2 - full length & KEWL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Star Trek" trailer #2 - full length & KEWL

Link.... (right-click Save As - 41 mb QT)

Enterprise construction site

Warping out

Spock transporting

Vulcan

Shuttle bay

Uhura/Zoe Saldana - nice uniform
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 November 2008, 22:35.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Never really got into Star Trek, but I saw the new trailer for it (went to see Quantum) and I must admit it looks pretty cool. And it has Simon Pegg in it, how bad could it be?
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Since when Constitution class ships can be constructed on the surface of a planet?

And when it comes to my impressions of the actors...McCoy & Scotty seem to be OK, but Kirk & Spock...please, that's the best ones they could find?... :/

Comment

High def here:

Watch trailers for movies and TV shows on tv.apple.com. Browse trailers for upcoming TV series and films.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'll reserve judgement until I've actually seen the film, but I fear Abrams might be playing fast and loose with the Star Trek mythos.

Kevin

Comment

That "Shuttle Bay" is probably the Blimp hangar at Tustin MCAS in Orange County. We used to go there for the odd air show or demonstration.

I'm glad they filmed it there: The City wants to tear it down.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
              Since when Constitution class ships can be constructed on the surface of a planet?
              Since the Trek novels and the book "The Making of Star Trek" which states that the Enterprise was built on Earth but final assembly was done in space. This info was also on a background display for the series "Enterprise" but the shot was never used.

Also don't forget that the USS Voyager was capable of landing on a planets surface and taking off again.

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
              I'll reserve judgement until I've actually seen the film, but I fear Abrams might be playing fast and loose with the Star Trek mythos.

Kevin
              The TOS novels "Prime Directive" and "Spock's World" provided much of the inspiration for this script, along with canon info from the TNG and Enterprise episodes.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 November 2008, 11:52.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Woudl explainign how they lift them into robit would be a major spoiler? :P

Comment

In the "Lost Years" trilogy of books (takes place between the end of the 5 year TOS mission
                  and ST:TMP) the saucer is separated from the secondary hull and is flown down to the surface
                  for it refit. The secondary/engineering hull refit was done in drydock in orbit. Also, the Enterprise
                  class starships (movie Enterprise) was able to use the saucer as an emergency escape.

Unlike the Enterprise D/E, they could not reconnect the 2 hulls. It was a one shot deal.

<\trekkie off>

- Wx

Comment

Why couldn't it just fly up?
                    We know from the TOS episode ""Tomorrow is Yesterday" that the Enterprise could fly down to around 100,000 feet. Why not further?

Failing that, a ground based teleporter might be able to just beam it into space.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Don't forget that they had anti & artificial gravity technology, also used for inertial damping, meaning that they could float it up high enough for the impulse engines to be used for getting to space dock where final assembly/calibration could be done.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                        Also don't forget that the USS Voyager was capable of landing on a planets surface and taking off again.
                        But the USS Voyager was what ... 2-3 generations newer than Enterprise and not a flagship size craft if I recall correctly.

Man, my nerditude level has skyrocketed just reading this thread. The scary thing is I understand a lot of the references and I haven't even seen any Star Trek for a decade.
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                          But the USS Voyager was what ... 2-3 generations newer than Enterprise and not a flagship size craft if I recall correctly.
                          Newer, yes, but anti/artificial gravity had been well developed as far back as the Enterprise NX-01.

That plus;

Intrepid Class (Voyager etc.): 700,000+ metric tons

Constitution Class (Enterprise etc.): <1,000,000 metric tons

so Voyager was <30% smaller.
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 November 2008, 14:09.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Not to mention that ST has a tradition of inconsistency that is part of it's charm.
                            Really, just about anything would be fair game for getting it in orbit.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

They probably will just fly it up once everything is done. In the Lost years, they split it because
                              the work on the saucer section required there to be a breathable environment/gravity. Since
                              those systems wouldn't be online in orbit until a significant part of the secondary hull work
                              was done, they could speed things up by doing it on the planet.

Now, I know that (according to the technical manuals) that the later ships (Enterprise-D) were
                              built such that the structure could not support itself on the surface. It required the use
                              of the structural integrity fields to support the ship. But I can believe that the earlier generations
                              were built with a much heftier structure just due to the lack of technology. I can also see that
                              the Constitution class ships could be designed such that they could withstand a slow ascent
                              from the surface, but the design would not be able to slow itself down enough for reentry. There
                              would be much greater forces on the ship for reentry.

It should be interesting to see what they do. I haven't been this excited to see a Star Trek movie
                              since First Contact. I didn't even see the last 2 until they were out on DVD for a VERY VERY
                              long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X