@$)(&@# Kids!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @$)(&@# Kids!!!

So....I'm driving north on a local street on my way to pick up take out for dinner when this f'ing MORON 16 year old kid in an old Pontiac 6000 pulls out of a drive on my right at near full throttle - in the rain - to make a left turn.

Having nowhere near enough time to avoid an accident I go to full left lock in an effort to mitigate the impact velocity, swerving through the next lane and into the left turn lane. Couldn't go for the oncoming lanes because of traffic. No need to involve them.

BANG!!

He hits my right front at the wheel, lifting the front of our Dodge Caravan off the ground several inches.

Fortunately we have full coverage and a great insurance company; they had a tow truck there in 10 minutes and an adjuster on the line taking my report before the cops even showed up. We'll pay no deductible (not our fault) and they work with the best body shop in town.

Anyhow...the kid got several tickets and his car was very likely totaled. His frame is definitely bent big-time.

Our Caravan is very repairable, mostly needing just a new rim, front cowl, bumper & cover, fender and some door sheet metal work. When everything stopped the Caravan's engine was still running, the trans worked, no noise in the running gear, steering was OK, the gauges & electrics were still working and I was able to drive it to a side street to wait for the cops & tow truck. Had a flat though no damage at all to the hood.

As the tow truck driver (coincidentally the kids grandfather!!) said: Caravans are tanks, Pontiac 6000's aren't.

No injuries in either car.

Pics

Our Dodge Caravan

His Pontiac 6000

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 November 2008, 18:42.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

glad to hear you are all right Doc.....
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Thanks!

So was my wife....when she got to the shop to pick me up I was almost choked into oblivion by her hug
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Most important is that nobody was hurt.

2nd most important is that the punks car is going to the crusher (aint no way they're gonna fix that mess), and his insurance will pay (which means he'll pay over the years in his hiked up rates).

Punk learns a lesson, you get fresh paint on at least part of your vehicle...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

What is it with drivers lately?

Glad to see you made it through without injury, Doc. A vehicle collision at any speed can seriously injure the occupant(s).

I nearly got "Left Turned" BIG TIME just last night: I was heading through an intersection at 40 MPH (Speed Limit 45MPH), which had turned yellow as
          I entered it, the dude in the turn lane opposite me went for it, and I had to swerve into his lane in the middle of the intersection to avoid him...lucky there was no one behind him. Our combined impact speed would have been close to 50 MPH. That would have hurt.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            ...f'ing MORON 16 year old kid...
            No need for the redundancy.

Glad everyone is ok.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin View Post
              Most important is that nobody was hurt.

2nd most important is that the punks car is going to the crusher (aint no way they're gonna fix that mess), and his insurance will pay
              Actually, not directly. Michigan is a no-fault insurance state, meaning fault in an accident only affects future rates of those at fault. Each insurance company pays its own customers costs with torts (lawsuits) limited to very narrow classifications such as disfigurement and the ability to recover a small amount in small claims court - a so called "mini tort" of $500, which could go up to $1,000 if a bill passes this session - this in an effort to reduce litigation.

Mini torts are typically used to pay ones deductible if your insurance company doesn't waive it. That plus the mini torts amount can be reduced if there is shared fault. Example: the court holds that the driver at fault is 75% at fault and the complaining party 25% then the award is only 75% of $500 or $375. IMO this sucks as many magistrates find 75/25 as a matter of routine regardless of the facts.

Some states have repealed their no fault systems because it often limits lawsuits that make sense - those that cause extensive pain/suffering or permanent handicaps - and prevent the injured from getting punitive damages when they are really deserved.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 November 2008, 22:02.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Didn't know your insurance laws varied so much.

Anyway, I'm glad no-one was hurt. That's the main thing.
                FT.

Comment

glad you're ok Doc. I have to say this is the first time I've heard about no-fault insurance. This just goes to show how different each state handles insurance. I can't say I'm a fan since that just seems like it would lead to more people driving around uninsured.
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
                    glad you're ok Doc. I have to say this is the first time I've heard about no-fault insurance. This just goes to show how different each state handles insurance. I can't say I'm a fan since that just seems like it would lead to more people driving around uninsured.
                    Even though it can get you in a lot of trouble that is precisely what happens, which begat the "Michigan Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act". It was implemented as a state compensation fund for the purpose of compensating those injured by uninsured drivers - from in the state or out.

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                    Didn't know your insurance laws varied so much.

Anyway, I'm glad no-one was hurt. That's the main thing.
                    Not just insurance laws. Each state has its own criminal law, civil law etc. etc. which can vary greatly from state to state.

Remember: the US system is based on Federalism - a collection of very independent States which in many ways act as if they were independent countries...even to the point of having their own trade representatives.

States even have their own military units (the National Guard) which while they can be "Federalized" by the President for use by the US military most often they are under the command of each States governor. Uses by a governor? Emergencies of most any kind, natural or man made such as civil disturbances & riots. How well equipped are they? FULLY.

25 states take this one step further by having a second state militia; the State Defense Forces (SDF'S), which are for use by the governors alone - they cannot be Federalized like the National Guard even though they are also regulated by the National Guard Bureau formed by the Militia Act of 1903.

These SDF's have full police powers, which is unlike the US armed forces whose ability to act as a police force within US borders is restricted by the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878.

Our SDF is the Michigan Volunteer Defense Force
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 November 2008, 21:39.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                    X