This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seti@home & murc, part 2

Thought that first one started to be a bit long.

I have the same problem every 2-3 day, its really frustrating coming to work and find that a unit have been ready since late last night and not sent. I thought this was a problem with my ISP or something, but if more of us have the same, cant some clever guy explain exactly how to solve this.
    What are you guys doing t o optimise your seti under win98? Think I read somewhere that there was a script thing that made it a bit faster?

Stefan

You could let the other run to the magic 500 posts We never got beyond a 250 mails post...
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I have a dual celery running at 561MHz (5.5x102FSB) under NT 4.0. I want to spawn more than one instance of Seti. How?

Thanks.

------------------
      ABIT BP6, 256MB PC100 RAM, dual 366 Celerons oc'd to 550MHz, 3DFXCool 66mmLx60mmWx69mmH Lil Mofo h/s fans. Marvel G200 PCI, Canopus Pure3DII, 3COM 905B NIC, Buslogic FlashPoint LW Ultra-Wide SCSI, SB16 ISA. Segate Medalist PRO 9.1 GB UW SCSI 7200RPM, Maxtor 20.4GB ATA66 7200RPM 2MB Cache, 8GB tape b/u, IDE 32x CDROM, SCSI 4xwrite/8xread Panasonic CD writer, 4 more various 2GB SCSI drives.
      Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

D'OH, I had slowed my rig down (to standard speed) to flash the MAX's BIOS, and install the 5.30 Drivers. I've been chugging away putting up WU, and with the icon blinking RED/GREEN I maximized it to deal with the latest "failure to connect" and what did I notice? A very slow time on the WU!

Set the speed back up and am moveing along nicely again.

Mark F.

------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 15 October 1999).]
        Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
        --------------------------------------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Comment

Addenum to Buuri: Do use two different directories!!
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Addendi #2 - Make sure to use the character version. I could be wrong, but I don't think the GUI version let's you pick where it goes.

Guyv...

Breezer... Come on dude - pass me already, I get nervous when someone tailgates me....
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

My amd works better when it is slip streaming.

I also get vertigo so i'm quite happy here in 5th place.
              Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

You guys better watch out, hecubus is coming up fast. He made me look like I was standing still with three computers.

Comment

Tell me about it. I've got 5 systems going - 3 character mode, 2 gui. The GUI ones keep timing out trying to send in my units....

Arghhh....
                  Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                  - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                  - 6.1 Digital Audio
                  - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                  - LS120 IDE Floppy
                  - Zip 100 IDE
                  - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                  - NEC FE950

Comment

Jeepman,
                    I want to spawn more than one instance of Seti.
                    Install 2 clients and set them both running!
                    Too obvious?

_
                    B

Comment

Thanks! I got the text version. I have it running on a PII 350, and P200MMX, a PII 400, and PPro 233, and my dual Celeron! I have two instances running on the dual. On Monday, I will also put a dual PPro 200 back to together and run that too!!!

------------------
                      ABIT BP6, 256MB PC100 RAM, dual 366 Celerons oc'd to 550MHz, 3DFXCool 66mmLx60mmWx69mmH Lil Mofo h/s fans. Marvel G200 PCI, Canopus Pure3DII, 3COM 905B NIC, Buslogic FlashPoint LW Ultra-Wide SCSI, SB16 ISA. Segate Medalist PRO 9.1 GB UW SCSI 7200RPM, Maxtor 20.4GB ATA66 7200RPM 2MB Cache, 8GB tape b/u, IDE 32x CDROM, SCSI 4xwrite/8xread Panasonic CD writer, 4 more various 2GB SCSI drives.
                      Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

All of my seti computers time out quite frequently when sending or receiving data. Early in the morning (EST) is a good time to load.

Comment

Here's a question: What processor is best for running Seti (at equivalent clock speed)?

Comment

Probably something with a strong FPU. A believe the SETI@Home stuff relies heavily on Fast-Fourier Transform algorithms, which can be a real time killer. The sick part about it is, the SETI people don't want it to go any faster. Intel has already re-written the client to use SSE, but SETI refuses to distribute it. Also, offers of 3DNow! enhanced code have been made, but SETI said that they weren't interested. Both of these offers would double (or better) the number of packets that could be processed.

------------------
                            K6-2/350@400, 503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, Millenium G200, RH6.1 w/ 2.2.12-20, Win98, and too many classes

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Then let's get intel to give it to us directly... Too bad if SETI doesn't want it any faster... They can start having sets double-checked like the Prime Search people... That would effectively double the number of units to scan...

Guyv
                              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                              - 6.1 Digital Audio
                              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                              - LS120 IDE Floppy
                              - Zip 100 IDE
                              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                              - NEC FE950

Comment

Working...
                              X