Replace Win98 with Win2k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Win98 with Win2k?

Okay, I just upgraded from a BH6/Cel300a@375 to a BP6/2XCel366@550. I was running Mandrake Linux 6.1 and Win98SE. Now that I have a dula CPU system, I am tempted to get rid of Win98Se and put in Win2K beta, coz I want true SMP on both sides.

My question is, is this a bad idea? Is there some G400 related stuff that works *really* badly on Win2k? Stability issues with the new drivers for example is *really* bad.

I don't care much about Quake3 coz I can run it just fine on Linux, but I am more concerned about stuff like DVDs, DirectX games, Dualhead, etc. which I can't do on Linux.

Thanks for your help

Rahul

------------------
    Abit BP6, Dual Celeron 366@550, G400 32MB DualHead, 128MB RAM, WD26500 6.4GB, SBLive! Value.
    Running Mandrake 6.1 and Windows 98SE.

Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
    Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Yes, there are devices and software that run really badly on Windows 2000. In fact, some won't run at all, and the list is very long.

How long and how bad depends on the version you intend to install. I've run into many technical issues with RC2, and I pulled my G400 from that system as a result. RC3 users have reported better results with the G400 and 3D issues. I would think the RTM version, Build 2195, would clear up even more issues.

From what I understand, there is limited dual-head capabilities running a G400 with W2K. DVD playing has been a problem. WinDVD 2000 is supposed to run under Windows 2000, but I know people have had problems getting it to work.

I couldn't get Unreal Tournament to work with RC2 and the new G400 drivers under RC2. I'm not sure what kind of results others are getting.

If I intended to install W2K on my primary system, I'd wait until the retail version was released, just to see what happens. Even then, I suspect we will lose some compatibility and functionality we've come to take for granted with Windows 98 while gaining some stability and performance benefits. NT users have been dealing with these trade-offs for a long time now.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Unreal Tournament runs great under 2195. And my online ping has improved considerably because of Win2000's better networking protocols. OpenGL is still a black mark though, but if you don't care about OpenGL, I'd try it. I love it so far. I had a few problems with my SoundBlaster 128 PCI, but since I bought a SB Live, I haven't had a problem with it.

The Rock
      Bart

Comment

Hi Rock,

I can't see any reason why W2k would improve your ping times. If Windows 98 was configured badly enough, you might see a small improvement in bandwidth in W2k (the ip stack is self tuning) but ping times are entirely dependant on things outside your computer.

Kewlcat,

I have had very little luck with the G400 and RC3 at this stage, but it is obvious that Matrox is working hard on the drivers. Hopefully they will release some updated beta drivers soon.

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul and TheRock. I decided to hold off till Win2K is released in Feb, especially since I only have a RC2 copy. That should give all the hardware manufacturers some time to get their act in gear.

Rahul

------------------
          Abit BP6, Dual Celeron 366@550, G400 32MB DualHead, 128MB RAM, WD26500 6.4GB, SBLive! Value.

Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux

Comment

I've had a lot of success with my g400 under win2k, although I can't say the same for the software, while many games play fine, there are still too many that will not run no matter what video card you stick in there.. But future games I'm sure will be more compatable, especially ones coming out feb. or later

Comment

Dualhead ist pretty limited with the 5.00.007 beta driver. You only get a split desktop (for example (1600x600).

3DMark2000 score was only 1300 compared to 1500 on Win98SE.

edzel

Comment

Dual boot: Win98SE for games, Win2k for anything else. Games litter the system anyways, and it's a good habbit to reinstall Win98SE every half a year... while Win2k runs the same stable set of applications and doesn't need any special attention.
                P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

Comment

Thanks Rob, MM and edzel. I think I will stick with Linux and Win98SE for now, till I can gt my hands on an RTM/final Win2k copy.

Rahul

Comment

KewlCat Why are you waiting for Feburary?

Version 2195 is the final build that will be sent out to OEM dealers very soon. If you can get your hands on 2195 version. Waiting till Feburary won't be any different.

Comment

Salted Peanut,

I haven't been able to find the 2195 version anywhere. So I will have to wait till Feb...

Comment

kewlcat,

Windows 2000 and the beta G400 drivers are good for the following:
                        • any desktop application which runs under Windows 2000 -- well, I only use the built-in IE5 and OE, mIRC, Go!Zilla, Winamp, BestCrypt, Hypersnap/DX, FAR, WinZIP, WinRAR, ACDSee, GameSpy, SecureCRT, NAV 2000, Office 2000 and Delphi 5 (these work fine without any problems for sure)
                          playing DVDs via a hardware decoder (Win2k comes with support built-in for hw decoders) or with a software player, either WinDVD 2000 (sometimes unreliable) or PowerDVD 2.5 (fine) -- note however that somehow the stretching routines are worse than Win98 under 2000, so if you maximize a movie to full-screen, it will look a bit worse than under Win98; also you probably won't have much luck with the G400's DVDMax feature
                          DirectVideo gaming, that is StarCraft, Tiberian Sun, Jagged Alliance 2 and such
                          so-so Direct3D gaming, only RC3 or higher (RC2 means trouble); MK4 is fine, NFSHS and UT are somewhat bearable (W98 is better though)

Don't even try OpenGL games though.

DualHead also isn't acceptable right now as far as I know. Anyway, I don't use DH, no room for a second monitor.

And while we are at it, you mentioned you can run Q3 under Linux just fine.. Do you know a place where I could grab the Linux executables before the point release? (I got the Win32 version as that is what I use primarily, not to mention the Linux version most probably won't ever make it to stores here.)

------------------
                        --
                        primary sys: ASUS P2B-DS, Dual P3-500, 512 MB RAM, SB Live!, Pioneer 303, Yamaha 6416S, and of course a Matrox G400 MAX
                        secondary sys: Abit BE6, P3-500, 384 MB, SB Live! Value, Pioneer 303, and of course a Matrox G400 OEM SH 32 MB

Comment

Thanks for your rely fds. AFAIK the Linux binaries are not out yet, but should be out pretty soon -- I was referring to Q3demo 1.10. I'll post as soon as I get the binaries, till then you could probably get them from a friend with the Linux version.

Rahul

------------------

Comment

Kewlcat:

There are stability issues with the G400 Win2k drivers? Please elaborate, since I have been running these drivers for several revisions now, from RC2 through Final, and have yet to find any instability at all...

- Gurm

------------------
                            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm,

Sorry about the wording of my post, but I did not mean to say that there *are* stability issues with the G400 Win2K drivers. I was just saying that if they exist, sauch issues would be what I would consider "really bad" Just don't chase me with your boomstick!

Hope this clears it up. I am glad to hear that you had no problems. I am soooo tempted to use the RC@ copy of Win2k I have, but somehow I think it is best to wait till I can get my hands on an RTM/OEM/retail version.

Rahul

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X