Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about the new Via cyrix joshua cpu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about the new Via cyrix joshua cpu?

Dual pipelined fpu, .18u, 64kb L1, 256 Kb L2 on-die, socket 370, 3dnow!. It seems like a winner in the budget market.
    What to expect from this one?

oh, and NOT multiplier locked...

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 24 December 1999).]

Selling a CPU already.

T'was just this evening that I saw the news that VIA aquiered Cyrax.
    The scarry thing is the rummor that they want to aquier S3 as well.

[This message has been edited by Aurel (edited 24 December 1999).]

Comment

It surely seems sweet... It seems to be coming at 433Mhz ans above. 433Mhz for a .18u cpu? It´s just begging to be overclocked

I just they quit the P+ rating and that dual pipelined fpu lives to its hype.

I also wonder if those "advanced" 3dnow! instructions are the plain 3dnow! found in the K6 or if its the Athlon ehanced 3dnow!.

Comment

Yup, good move on their behalf, now that AMD is fighting Intel for the high end.

If things go well this could be the perfect low cost and good performance combo, Via mobos and Cyrax CPUs with that potential of over colcking.

Comment

It's from VIA.

Run like hell.

------------------
          Kenlon
          "I am. All else is negotiable."
          Kenlon

Comment

Kenlon, you may be right. Here: http://www.anandtech.com/html/webnew...&frontid=#5222

Single pipelined fpu? That louzy P rate again? P433=300 Mhz? How lame!

Oh, well... they did it again! I mean, they got near to bankrupcy manufacturing louzy cpu´s, now that VIA is in charge they do it even worse. Oh yeah. Who want´s P300 gaming performance nowadays?

Comment

At least they learned a bit: that a CPU can't do without an FPU these days... Maybe in time they'll get on the big end of the market

Jorden, reminiscing about the days he had a P166+ and thought he had a powerfull CPU, until he started Quake...
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Actually, I was basing my "Run like hell" statement on my experiences with VIA chipsets for K6-2's.

Eeeeeeevil.

------------------
                Kenlon
                Kenlon

Comment

They might pull off decent Athlon chips. After all, there's a lot of help from AMD - they have a vested interest in VIA doing a good job.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My apologies to all who are so called, but I HATE the name Josh.

------------------
                    Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Okay, it's a Cyrix made chip. What are the two things that Cyrix is known for...Crappy gaming and horrendous compatibility. Even with a respectable chip maker like VIA taking the helm I am still on a show-me-first basis with any and all Cyrix labeled products.

Jammrock

------------------
                      PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I still wonder how someone named Karl can be called Chuck, KvH
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

I suppose that will always be a mystery, Jord.

Darn it, there's that twitch again...

------------------
                          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Working...
                          X