Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• htpc case + remote questions

Hello,

I have finally decided to make the jump and get a htpc.
    A first question I have: in what way is it possible to for instance schedule recordings without having to turn on the TV?
    I can imagine that doing that is no problem with a htpc case that as a 7" touchscreen, like the Zalman HD160XT, but what are the options with a case that just has a VFD?
    (I really like the HFX Classic)

I wouldn't mind getting a decent touchscreen remote (Logitech Harmony 1000, Philips Pronto tsu9600, ...) if that could do this... There are remotes that double as Windows Sideshow devices: could they be used to schedule recordings? It would be nice if they could also show album art of a playing track...

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 19 October 2008, 07:19.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

You might be able to use a PDA (Like a Dell Axim X51) over 802.11a/b/g/n. You'd setup a
    webserver on your system that schedules your recordings. I believe MythTV allows web
    scheduling.

There are also a few Nokia devices (I think the N700/N800?) that have been used as remote
    controllers. It runs a program that connects wirelessly to your server and contols things through
    that. You'd even get a copy of the UI you'd see on your main screen on the deivce. But I'm not
    sure of the specifics. You'd have to do some google-ing.

-Wx

Comment

I know I can remote-desktop using my WM6 mobile, it also works as a sideshow device. But as I can't run media center (videocard not supported, but I also don't have a tuner), I can't test it.

But I was wondering more if there are true remotes out there (rather than using devices not meant for it)... Marantz and Philips make nice devices, but the media center support looks iffy...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

I don't think there would be any really way for something like a Philips Pronto to really do what
        you are looking for as it requires 2-way communication. But it has been a while since I looked
        at those devices. There are also the ULTRA expensive whole house remote control systems
        that might have the functionality you are looking for, but those usually require a computer for
        the remote system itself.

Are you looking to use Windows Media Center? Or something else?

Comment

The new Pronto devices are two way, they connect via wifi... There is some MediaCenter support, but seems odd...

Nothing urgent, I was thinking either MediaCenter or MediaPortal... But I was curious to see what the options are. I figured it might help me decide between a htpc case with touchscreen tft or not (no good solutions yet: tft might be more interesting; good solutions: tft is less important).

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

If you plan on going the MediaCenter route, you can look into using WebGuide

Its no longer in development (developer went over to the dark side RE: Microsoft bought him out), but it has a semi-decent front end that you can use via WM or anywhere else (web interface which I use it frequently) on my Windows MCE 2005 HTPC box. It lets you set recordings and what not.

He was working on the Windows Vista MCE release and got fairly far into it, but I can't say for sure how good the Vista support is.

Good luck!
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121 View Post
              If you plan on going the MediaCenter route, you can look into using WebGuide
              I just came across it, and wanted to post it in this thread...

As a mobile, I have a Windows Mobile device (which is sideshow compatible), and as it turns out there now is a MediaCenter Sideshow gadget:
              Gadgets are no longer available on our website because the Windows Sidebar platform in Windows 7 has serious vulnerabilities.

But I also have a Nokia S60 device I'd like to use for it... The webguide seems to make that possible.

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

A digital photoframe that supports wifi and has an embedded webbrowser (and such devices exist) could me a nice control panel for a mediacenter pc....
                (this of course brings us pretty close to the already suggested Nokia stuff.....)

Samsung has photo frames that work as a usb monitor... That could be interesting as well...

Jörg
                Last edited by VJ; 28 October 2008, 06:05.
                pixar

Comment

Do the wifi digital photoframes have touchscreens?

Sounds suspiciously like a tablet. Which would be another idea.
                  Doesn't have to be powerful as it would be using a web browser.

-Wx

Comment

There is a new Sony (VFP-CP1) which is said to embed an Opera browser.

A quick glance at the other touchscreen photo frames seems to suggest they lack a full webbrowser and are limited in the webcontent they can show.

Aestetically, using a photoframe for this puprose would like nice though...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Found another web-based control: ngRC (next-gen Remote Control)

It is listed on sourceforge...
                      pixar

Comment

Working...
                      X