Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• world against me?

Just venting a bit...

I'm currently working back at the university, on a project that ends the end of November. So far, everything seems to go wrong: the target platform (ArcGIS) was delivered early October; our functionality is written in C++, but I needed to wrap this in a managed class to use it in C# to interface with ArcGIS. Now it turns out we are running into C# memory limits, so I might have to do all the work anew, but now using the datastructures offered by ArcGIS... Every step forward is too steps back...

I filed projects to obtain a post doctoral position, while my professor filed other research projects on which I could work. So far, 5 have turned out to be nothing, still 2 remaining (the result of which I'll know in December). Applications in the industry have been turned down: companies are reluctant to hire people in the current economical climate. I'm still have an application for an (interim) teaching job at a higher education school affiliated with the university.

On top of that, my diving trip (first trip to dive in tropical water) to Tanzania, which has been planned since February (!) has been canceled: the boat we rented out has hit a reef and needs to be repaired on a dry dock. I didn't take any days off (saved them for that trip)...

A well, I'm bound to get a change of luck some time...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

We like you Jorg. We aren't against you! Something will turn up. It always does
    FT.

Comment

/me picks up a phone, dials the number to the secret headquarters of world-wide conspiracy, waits till somebody picks it up...

- HE KNOWS!!!

Comment

When it rains, it pours.

You have to wait for the bad cycle like a wheel to turn a bit more and you’ll go up from there.

Hang in there.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
          When it rains, it pours.
          Nice expression...

I know things will change, it is just frustrating...

But thanks for the support, guys!

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Still no change: yesterday my boot harddisk crashed...

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

That's your three things then! Another expression we have is bad things come in threes. Things start to get from now...until the next set starts
              FT.

Comment

Perhaps I should play the lottery now?

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Definitely!
                  FT.

Comment

Just had a call from one my applications, I can go there on Monday for a first talk. This is the application as an interim (till September 2009) as a lector in a higher-education outside university...

In a way it sounds interesting, as I think the work will be ok; thus allowing me to work on a number of publications and new post-doc applications at the university...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Don't have a good feeling about that first talk... They gave me the impression that they consider me too highly educated (hence too expensive?) and they seem to question my ability to explain stuff to their students (literaly saying that "it is a difference between teaching our students and teaching civil engineers").

Meanwhile, another option (post doc postion with another prof) has also turned out nothing - he didn't get the funding.

Currently open options: an extension of the current project I'm working on (but the person responsible has fallen sick), a post doc mandate (where I'm currently first reserve out of 30 candidates: if one doesn't take his/her mandate, I get it) or a research project (we are also in the reserves).
                      I hate this insecurity....

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Still no change: that first talk didn't lead to something...

And during yesterday's progress meeting of the project that finishes the end of this month, it turns out they gave me incorrect instructions: I've been programming for over a month now, at something that apparantly won't fit in their workflow!
                        The work I did before this would have fitted, but now it has to be finished by the end of this month, and I'm left with either something that will fit (but that needs a lot of work) or something that won't fit (but they seem ok with it) but also needs a lot of work.

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Keep plugging at it VJ. Something WILL turn up.

I've been there before with time wasted on projects, for various reasons. Its not your fault at all, so think of it as a learning exercise as their expense.
                          FT.

Comment

and the list keeps growing...

On Monday, my raid5 went out of synch (cause was an incorrect assumption on my behalf), it hhad to be initialized again. This meant backing backing up al data, during which I noticed my backup disk seriously underperformed. Backup took 2 DAYS. Raid problem solved now, will have to check that backup disk (could have been due to fragmentation).

Still no news about the project extension... (news was due this week)

On Friday, my car acted up: again the warninglights for engine electronics and exhaust gasses lit up. So at 08.00 I was at the garage (15 km drive), only to notice that their opening hour changed from 08.00 to 10.00. Upon starting there, no warninglights were on. It is just mocking me!

This is getting old... I really need a change of luck...

Oh, and I got a zit!
                            (we still try to keep laughing )
                            pixar

Comment

A change of luck?

Just had news that
                              1. the project I'm currently working on will (most likely) be extended (need signature from minister), starting in January.
                              2. there will be a solution for my to bridge the month of December

Cross fingers....
                              Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X