ABIT HOT ROD 66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABIT HOT ROD 66

Has anyone had any trouble installing the abit hot rod udma-66 controller in win98se.
    I have a 20Gb maxtor 7200rpm udma-66 drive and a 6X toshiba DVD drive.

------------------
    PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

I am still waiting for my refund from the vendor on that same piece! I know where you went wrong with your installation. You did'nt cancel the install when you were suppose to. I bet you "pointed" to the drivers on the disk and rebooted, right? You are not suppose to do that. You have to run the Abit setup after cancelling "when windows finds new hardware". If you do not do this it is time for Format C:, If you want to get this puppy to work.
    I tried to "redo" the install but could not. Good luck man...

------------------
    PIII-450@504, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17", and some fish, Waiting for a MAX to come down in price....

Comment

Thanx for the tip LAMFDTK! I haven't installed it yet i was only askin if there is someting i should know before I install the card.

------------------
      PIII450@558, ABIT BX6-2, 256RAM, G400MAX, SBLIVE
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I have added it to my list of Boners that I must addmit to.....
        Good luck.....As always READ THE DIRECTIONS....

Comment

i had a similar problem when i installed the udma drivers on a be6. before the system worked fine but not at it's best. we installed the drivers and suddenly we were having errors on startup. It would get as far as showing the splash screen and then it would reboot from scratch and then repeat the process. the way around this was to delete the config.sys and the autoexec.bat files using windows safe mode. once this was done the thing rocked. I think it was a compatibility problem with the settings of the SBlive in the config sys but rather than delete the offending code in the file it's better to delete the file altogether as it is not used by win98 and just slows things down on startup.

I only read the instructions when it goes wrong. Is that bad?

------------------
          p3 450@600. bx6 ver 2. 128mb unbranded pc100. iwill 2930u scsi, diamond pro pci modem, advansys 1505 isa scsi, SB Live!, pioneer dvd103s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, ricoh 1420 cdr, ibm 13.5gb @ 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
          Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
          Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

I got a Hot Rod 66 sitting in my computer, works fine with no real problems. It was a pain to install mind you, but it works now.

Just make sure your BIOS is set to boot from SCSI, run the exe once the computer boots and you should be fine. If you have any specific ?'s, post them and I'll see what I can dig up.

Jammrock

------------------
            PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The installation whent fine (thanx LAMFDTK!)
              and the card is working! Should I update the cards BIOS?

Comment

Good luck doing that?? I would'nt work when I had the sucker in my box...

Hey My 1 gig WD benched faster than the UDMA66 with the benchmark that came with the card...

Jamm-man, I'm eyeing that Plextor...

[This message has been edited by LAMFDTK (edited 20 December 1999).]

Comment

Okay, flashing the BIOS is a chore, here is the procedure.

0) Download the newest BIOS http://www.abit-usa.com/english/download/bios-ha66.htm and flash utility http://www.abit-usa.com/english/download/uti-04.htm . Extract the files, rename Hpt_121.bin to 'BIOS' (no quotes), rename Load105.exe to 'LOAD.exe' (no quotes) and PUT THEM ON A FLOPPY DISK. Yes they MUST go on a a floppy, but no it doesn't have to be bootable.

1) Shut down, open the case and pull out the card.

2) Peel back the Hot Rod 66 sticker on the EEPROM, the big black IC mounted on a socket, and write down the EEPORM type. It is a big old string of numbers and letters. If there are more than one number write them all down.

3) Put your system back together and boot up to a clean DOS prompt. You can do this by either using a boot disk or hitting Shift+F5 when the Starting Windows 98... line appears (you may want to hold down shift and tap F5 after the BIOS info is posted to make sure Windows recognizes the clean boot command).

4) Go to the A: drive and type in LOAD BIOS (or load105 BIOS if you have not changed the load program name). Follow the instructions and away you go.

REMEMBER, you MUST run the BIOS update from a floppy disk or it will not work. After that is done you can update the Hot Rod drivers in windows.

LAMFDTK,

The Plextor 8x4x32 is really a sweet, sweet drive. I have found one minor downfall of it...it is REALLY picky on the media you use. If the CD-R's you use are not on their recommended media list ( http://www.plextor.com/8xmedia.htm ) you are going to cook more coasters than you have cups. I use the Imation CDR74A 8x certified CD-R's and have NEVER had a bad burn with those. You can pick them up at ChumpUSA or the like for about $1USD per CD-R in bulk. Once I got he media issue taken care of I have never had a bad burn, and it goes really fast.

Jammrock

------------------
                  PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Comment

Now theres a Procedure that the "average" Joe can perform!

Jammrock you are the man!

I think I'm getting that Plextor...But waiting for the 12X-15X is tempting

------------------
                    PIII-450@504, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot, and some fish,

Comment

12x-15 write? Where did you see this?

BTW, the BIOS flash procedure was a mix of their instructions and my trial and error. Mostly error unfortunately.

Jammrock

Comment

Oh well, I don't use SCSI anyway. 8x will suffice for now

Jammrock

------------------

Comment

Hey Jammer, Look at my sig! I need to install a UDMA66 Controller card again ! I have 5 IDE devices.ahhhahahahah!!!

------------------
                          PIII-450@504, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot,PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW, and some fish,

Comment

Has anyone got drivers for Linux RedHat6.0 & Windows 2000 Pro?

Comment

Hi Guys,

If anyone needs a Hot Rod card I have one for sale. I used it with my ABIT BX6 rev2 mobo. Now that I have a BE6 I'm not using it anymore. How's $20.00 sound, email me if your interested.

Paul
                              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                              X