Motherboard Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Question

Well I'm planning to get a Abit BE6-II tomorow, so I was wondering if this is good mobo to use with my G400 & Sblive, because I Thought I've seen a couple of post with people having some troubles. SO if any of you BE6-II users out here could post some feedback pleaz

or if you could recommend something else that will get my P3-450 up to 550 or 600 and that has a 1/4 PCI bus divider, let me know about it.
    -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

I have an Abit BX6r2, not a BE6-II, so this might not be completely accurate for the BE6-II. The BX6r2 runs great with my G400 and SB-Live. I have some really good Corsair Micro SDRAM that I could take up to 124MHz CAS-2, which took my PIII-450 up to 558. When trying for 129MHz, Norton Antivirus thought that EMM386.EXE was infected, so I had to step back down to 124.

However, 124MHz is the first FSB that uses the 1/4 PCI divider. The next step down is 117, which uses a 1/3 PCI divider. My BX6r2 & SB-Live run just fine at 117, though.

As always, your results with overclocking will vary.

Comment

The Abit and Soundblaster Live issues you may have read about are unrelated, except that they have impacted G400 performance.

The Abit problem is solved by making sure the board is seated properly in the slot. This can be a bit deceptive and not the easiest task. Don't be scared of it. Get it in there.

The Soundblaster Live problem was a driver issue. Make sure you download and use the latest drivers.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I sold my be6-2 and got a bf6 because the udma66 was just 1 thing too many on my system..See below.. same bios tho ,the 1/4 devider is available at all speeds and all speeds are available from 66 to 200 ...I wish the agp bus could do 1/2 but the g400 doesnt seem to mind the 138 mhz X 2/3 setting .
        Go for it Moleman..
        Matt

------------------
        Abit BF6, P3 450 AT 620, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

I am happily running the system you see in my signature, SB Live, G400 MAX and all. No problems. I have heard that the UDMA 66 hardware prevents excesive overclocking. I have not had any experience with this issue since I have it turned off. I bought it for future condiderations. At the present, I am only running SCSI.

Also, with an Alpha P3-125 heatsink, you are not able to use the first memory slot.

------------------------------
          600 MHz PIII @ 660 Mhz (2.05 V) w/Alpha P3-125 heatsink/fan, ABIT BE6-2, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, CL SB Live with Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, and Shure FP22 headphone amplifier, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, Pioneer 303s SCSI DVD, Win98SE, in a modified Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, and a partridge in a pear tree.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 02 January 2000).]

Comment

The drawback to the BE6 is twofold:

1. ABIT motherboards in general have problems when you fill every single slot with devices which require bus mastering to operate...

2. Excessive IRQ sharing. You have 4 IRQ's to share between:

1 AGP slot
            5 PCI slots
            USB
            ACPI
            UDMA66

That's 9 devices with 4 IRQ's. This is fine unless you (like a lot of us) have devices which WON'T share IRQ's very well.

I got an ASUS P3B-F and it shares a lot better...

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

goto www.asuscom.de and have a look at the P3B series ...(they also have SoftBIOS)

Asus make rock stable boards which seem to produce less electronical noise than the competition which leads into more stability and better chances to reach proper AGP 2x DiME support.

------------------
              Cheers,
              Maggi

Working Rig:
              Asus P2B-DS @ 100MHz FSB
              Double Pentium III-450
              4 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
              Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead
              Eye-Q 777 (22" with 127kHz) on primary VGA
              Nokia 445Xi (21") on secondary VGA

Home Rig:
              Asus P2B-S Bios 1010 @ 100MHz FSB
              Celeron 333A @ 500MHz
              2 x 128MB CAS2 SDRAM
              Matrox Millennium G400 32MB DualHead @ 150/200MHz
              CTX VL710T (17")
              and a brand new Pioneer 303S SCSI-DVD

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
              X