Aureal Advantage problem...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aureal Advantage problem...?

I recently purchased a Digital Research Technologies Thundersound card, which uses the Aureal SQ1500 chipset. It worked fine for about two weeks, until I installed a Creative Labs ModemBlaster and hooked up the TAD.

Immediately after the modem install, Windows began locking up just after network login but just before actual entry (i.e. during the device driver load). By booting into safe mode and disabling the sound card, I became able to use the computer again; any time the card is active, however, the system immediately freezes.

According to Windows, there are no resource conflicts (although, since I can't get the thing to work without disabling the device, I can't really be sure).

Here's the kicker:

My FIRST thought was that the drivers were bad (DRT isn't the greatest company), so re-installed the CD AND downloaded the latest from DRT and Aureal. No change.

My second thought was that perhaps the TAD hookup had fried the sound card, especially since DRT doesn't seem to be selling Thundersounds with the full SQ1500 chipset anymore; their new version just has a CD-In and three jacks, as opposed to the SQ1500's TAD, Aux-In, CD-In, and five jacks. However, when I installed the card in another machine (running Win98, as well), it worked normally; the card seems to function just fine, even with TAD connected.

Finally, in desperation, I re-installed Windows and made sure to install the Aureal drivers just after the VIA and Matrox drivers (prior to installing any other devices). It STILL locks up.

Any ideas?

----------
    Windows 98
    MS Office 2000
    AMD K6-2 450Mhz
    64 MB generic RAM
    Epox MVP3G5
    Creative Labs ModemBlaster
    BOAC 44x CD-ROM
    Matrox G400 32MB OEM single-head
    3COM 10/100 TX Fast Ethernet
    Digital Research DRSOUNDA3D (Aureal SQ1500)

Try installing the modem and/or the sound card in different PCI slots. Try all available combinations. Keep them both away from PCI slot 1 (nearest the G400)

Comment

Well, I found the problem. The card absolutely refused to do anything but lock the computer on boot-up until I moved it to the second PCI slot and forced an IRQ of 9 to that slot. *laugh*

Comment

Working...
      X