• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very strange

This the basic layout of the system.

Winxp drive C:
    Datadisk drive D:
    Vista on drive E:

Vista always been a bit quirky failing to find winlogon.exe and a chkdisk always fixed it.

Today I treated Vista to a new Western Digital Raptor 300 gig.

Cloned the drive using Acronis True Image 11 swap the hard drive over rebooted and got winlogon.exe cannot be found.

Ran chkdsk while I played with my new Asus EEE 901

Rebooted again same problem.

Connected up the old drive and it booted so I reimaged in Vista this time.

Swapped the drive and winlogon.exe is missing.

Now the next problem is the disk I have is a none bootable upgrade DVD. As much use as a chocolate fire guard. I used to have a bootable Vista at work so I popped in and found some bugger had borrowed but not returned it.

Well it was time to go 64 bit (Good excuse) wasn't it but local stores don't stock it. Anyway ordered an oem version and in the meantime went back to fixing this problem. I suspected that the bootloader was looking at another drive for some reason.

Since XP worked I downloaded EasyBCD and had a look. For some unknown reason the bootloader had decided the volume had been deleted. It never had been and Acronis should copy the full details of the old drive across including the volume name.
    Creating a new entry just incase something was still missing from drive E and tried it. It loaded Vista. Edited the original entry pointing back to E and everything is as normal.
    Why it decided that drive E had gone to heaven on MS knows but it was interesting annoying time waster.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

EasyBCD is good enough. Still don't know why the boot loader just decided the drive had been deleted????
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
        Still don't know why the boot loader just decided the drive had been deleted????
        Its acronis reordering the partition information.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ View Post
          Its acronis reordering the partition information.
          Not as far as I know I guess that's a question for there tech support. It certainly didn't when I did the same for the XP partition.

I just emailed tech support. I can't see it though.
          Last edited by The PIT; 11 October 2008, 13:29.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
          X