Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A3D sound card hangs

Hello pple!

Previously, whenever I play 3d games in whatever mode, I hang randomly.
    Then, Merchant gave me this information that my A3D (Vortext) sound card may be causing the problem with my Asus K7M motherboard.
    I ran 3Dmark 2000 demo 6 times, 3 times with sound, 3 times without. The result: No glitches without sound. Thanks Mr Merchant.

So pple, any idea what I can do? Any people know of any sound card confirm compatible with Asus K7M?
    Thanks.

Other than get the latest drivers from Aureal, you are out of luck. You didn't mention if it was a (Vortex 1) 88020 or (Vortex 2) 88030 card, the former is more likely to have problems I found. If it's a MX300, don't use Diamond's ancient drivers.
    http://www.a3d.com/

Comment

Rule #1. Avoid any and everything with the "Diamond Multimedia" label on it. Their driver support is pathetic and very political.

I've got a Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value working OK in my Asus K7M mobo. I'm using the LiveWare 3 drivers for it.

It is a shame. Aureal has a good chip on their hands. At least they are doing the right thing and are starting to make their own boards now.

Comment

Thanks a lot people.
        I am not sure if it is vortext 1 or 2.
        Because it comes with my old pc and has no box or manual.
        But it has a control icon at my system tray with a big A on it.
        Any one to enlighten mi?
        Thanks.

Comment

well i would say that since i upgraded my sound card to the sb live gamer. and ive now had zero crashes inn the 2 weeks since i put it in that the sblive definitly likes the k7 oh and lava is so cool.

oh that big a is the a3d tray control that is part of the drivers for vortex2 cards. (im not 100% sure i never owned a vortex 1 card so i don't know what the control drivers for the v1 look like) what you can do to find out what you have is take the sound card out. look at the chips on the pcb. you should see one bigger than the rest on the sound card write down the numbers post them here and one of us should be able to help

------------------
          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, sb live xgamer sound card, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, microsoft inteli mouse explorer(5 buttons, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers.

noel
          Don't son that gun is loaded.

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 31 December 1999).]
          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
          it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Aureal's tech site has a utility you can download. Execute it, and it will tell you what your chip set is. Also, there's some tech notes on exactly the types of probs you're having.
            www.aureal.com

Bill

------------------
            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
            People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

There should be a chip on your board which will have either a 88020 or a 88030 on it.

88020 = Vortex 1
              88030 = Vortex 2

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks everyone, especially Billlto.
                That nifty utility has identified the chipset. Now I will go one step futhur, download the multi-mega byte driver to update.
                Btw, the URL should be http://support.aureal.com

Look out for good news (Hopefully)
                If not, I will juz change to a non-branded sound card.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by junkal (edited 02 January 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                X