Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rambus Continues to Suck?

I just picked up this little tidbit at Rivazone:

"At the Intel Developer Forum (Sept 1st 1999 in Palm Springs, CA) Jay Bell, Senior Fellow of Dell Computer disclosed the first publicly released benchmark results for the Rambus/Camino platform.

"Though the results have yet to be independently verified, performance figures quoted by Mr. Bell generally indicate that under normal conditions, Rambus degrades the performance of Microsoft Office 2000 applications by an average of 25% as compared to PC100. Using a benchmark called Office Bench, Dell's engineers contrasted a BX chipset platform using 100MHz SDRAM against a Camino platform with 800MHz Direct Rambus. Other than DRAM and chip set, both systems were configured identically with 500MHz processors."

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Looks like Intel is getting the shaft for sticking with RAMBUS. Experts kept telling them the high latency would degrade performance, but nooooooo, Intel knows everything so the experts are wrong. Now Intel just got the shaft from Dell, the largest PC maker in the WORLD!!!!

Down with the establishment! BOOM BABY BOOM, I'm the evil midnight hacker that hacks at midnight!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

AMD ROCKS!!!! DDR DRAM and Athlon technologies will rule the world!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Jammrock

er..uh..I just need to wash my hands.

------------------
    PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

From what I've read there is a higher latency when using Rambus. Given that the price is currently somewhere in the area of 4-5x that of SDRAM, I think I'd pick up some quality PC133 and stick with that. Also read that Kingston has lowered memory prices and that it should hit about $0.90/MB something in Q1/00. That 500E and 128MB PC133 may just be in my future after all.

Rick
      Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

You just have to stay away from the Camino chipset. The chip that allows for PC133 compatibility also causes performance degradation.

What a mess. I'm sure Dell wasn't happy about this, and it's yet another poke in the eye for Chipzilla.

What's good about this is, at least from my perspective, is that the BX chipset has really come into it's own. It's stable, feature rich, and motherboard manufacturers are really getting creative in their attempts to get people to upgrade. And this, along with the astronomical price of Rambus, is forcing Intel to stick with the 100 MHz FSB.

I have four systems up and running now and a lot of PC100 RAM. I would like to put off upgrading for a while.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Aurel,

I know darn well who makes my CPU! That damn chipzilla maker in Oregon...or where ever they are based. At the time of purchase the AMD Athlon was still a dream in the minds of gamers.

Now on the otherhand, the Athlon is out and kicking serious butt. Which is why the Chipzilla Pentium !!! is going into the secondary rig and the new Athlon 650 is going into the power machine

Jammrock

------------------
          PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Paul,

From what I've seen, I too am not too impressed with the current RAMBUS offerings, so that's why I was asking about the P3C in the other form. I'll stick with the ol' BX chipset for awhile.

John

Comment

What's going to be really nice is when they manage to get DDR ram working with a chipset. Rumours that I've read is that Intel to trying to get DDR working to somewhat make up for the Rambus fiasco.

Rick
              Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

The BX chipset is like an old friend. You know its quirks and flaws, and it may annoy you on occasion, but it's stable and reliable, and continues to improve with age.

Abit, AOpen, and MSI have all put out fine BX boards over the last 6 months. As long as there are Intel processors running on the 100 MHz Bus that I can't afford, I'll feel safe with it.

I just wonder when Camino will be a viable option for most of us. I consider myself an early adopter, and I spend so much of my disposable income on computer parts. But, so far, Camino has no appeal for me. The Coppermine parts, however, do, and I look foward to getting my hands on a 700 or 750 MHz processor. Maybe in February or March, when the fastest part is approaching 1 GHz.

(I bet they skip 900 MHz altogether. Lots of important household appliances running at that frequency. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard any rumors about 900 MHz parts in the pipeline.)

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Uh-oh.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/991229-000001.html

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hurray!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/991222-000016.html

Oops!

http://www.hardocp.com/articles/inte...00roadmap.html

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!111
                      I can't wait for the KX133...so I can then sport 256 Megs of that fantastic Enhanced Memroy Systems HSDRAM PC-133(which I am using now)...but will finally be able to put it to its intended USE!!!
                      When I had it on my P3 450, prior to getting my K7 650, I had it up to 126 Mhz, FSB...at CAS2-2-2, and it was flawless....
                      Another interesting thing, as far as I have read...PC133 gives higher bandwidth than even the 800 Mhz RamBussing...
                      Hopefully, some of this stuff coming out of the RAMBUS (so far) debacle, is paying Intel back, somewhat, for the BS with K76 mobos...
                      I am all in favor of Open Trade and capitalise....but this crap with Intel FORCING the mobo manufacturer's NOT to make Slot A mobos is really BS!!!
                      Kelin
                      ps. I do like my P3 450....and will probably end up upgrading my secondary system to a CuMine...buts that's only after I go the NEW K7 (on die cache, .18 micron) tech way!!!

Comment

AnandTech's got a review of the new AOpen BX board. If nothing else it looks really good.
                        http://www.anandtech.com/html/articl...?document=1111

According to the AOpen site, it comes with
                        • Special Military Grade BLACK PCB

Rick

Comment

Jammrock, two minor corrections...

1) Intel is based in Santa Clara, California (aka Satan Clara)

2) It should be "the evil midnight hacker what hacks at midnight". I assume you're quoting this
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Hey Paul,

I'm guessing your "oops" comment for the OCP article is because Intel asked them to remove it. Too bad. I was really curious.

Come on everyone, let's start some rumors, which of course must include a Y2K tie-in.

Happy new year all,

John

Comment

He said Intel was very nice about it. I hope they send him a big fat Pentium III 800.

Paul
                              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                              X