A few questions about the PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about the PS3

I'm thinking of buying one, before I do, I'm wondering if the Blu-ray (HD) playback is in 1080p?

What about the games? do some games support 1080p as well?

Thanks,
    Elie

Yes and yes. Although I don't think many games actually run at 1080p because of framerate issues.

I'm looking into a PS3 as a HTPC (I would stream from the network). Not sure what it is like with all the crazy codecs that are out there, if it works out (there are lots of firmware updates for the PS3 I think) then it seems like the best choice for HTPC.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Great thanks! And yes the PS3 is more than capable of streaming video and audio to your system which is what I will be doing.

Also I have about 200 DVD movies I bought, which I will be trading in for Blu-ray versions. Will start to build that soon starting with Iron Man and Batman The Dark Knight.
      Last edited by Elie; 1 October 2008, 13:31.

Comment

Note it will only output 1080p for movies through HDMI.

Comment

thanks Rylan, i do have an available HDMI input on my LCD.

Update: PS3 60 GB ordered! May upgrade the hard drive to 200GB shortly after.

Cheers,
          Elie

Comment

Cool, let us know how it works out. I'm really starting to think using one to stream media off of a server/NAS in another location seems like a good idea. Try streaming something thats 1080p (apple.com/trailers for content if you don't have).
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
            X