Our new house....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new house....

It's been a big effort, but the new house is ready for viewing. It's not the first house I posted here, not even the second that we picked...both because of "issues" with the sellers - don't ask

Anyhow - here are some pics of those portions that aren't still in a state of disorder due to moving. Labels where appropriate. More pics when things get settled.

The house is all brick with a new roof, all the goodies, 120/220 power and 400 amp service. The garage is all vinyl sided (read little maintenance) with 120/220/480 power, a 30,000 BTU ceiling mounted gas heater, insulated walls/ceiling and an insulated door. The shed is 12' x 14' wood framed barn-style.

Front entry. LARGE coat closet to the left

The dining room. Note the built-in office nook

An un-cluttered part of the finished basement looking into the 20 foot long laundry, pantry & freezer room - in fact it can handle 2 large upright freezers. There is also a 21' x 10' 4th bedroom with a full bath & walk-in closet as well as a 10' x 12' "living area", a small recording studio and crafters room. That paneling? NOT the cheap stuff - real 1/2" tongue and groove. The basement also has emergency lighting, an egress window and 8 foot ceilings. Brand new high efficiency gas furnace, air cleaner, A/C and hot water heater

Garden showing a nice sitting area under the main trellis

From another angle showing the unused 2nd trellis (Marge has plans, of course)

The view from the back deck - note the depth: 265 foot/80+ meter lot. Also note our 5 year old grandson Kaden for scale. He's at the back fence behind the wooded section. Those are poplar and birch. This type of poplar can grow to 130+ feet/40+ meters. Big damned yard and yes, we have a lawn tractor.

Reverse angle: house/garage/shed from the back yard. The wooden box? Part of a horse shoe game.

Woods looking north

Woods looking south. Yes, we have thought of putting a big picnic table, a grill and hammocks back here
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 September 2008, 22:37.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Satellite view. Look closely at the front of the house and you'll see why there is no pic of it - YOU CAN BARELY SEE IT FROM THE STREET because of all the trees & shrubs. You can see more of the garage than of the house. Shade we have an abundance of
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Looking good Doc. Now will the inside stay that clean now that you live there?

Glad to see everything is settling down for you guys. House hunting and moving is on the list of top stresses.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Yup, a "big picnic table, a grill and hammocks back here" I definatelly support...also because you'll prevent bursts of laughter when somobody with ~mine sense of humour sees you all in current sitting area

Comment

You got it for what, $50 in the current Detroit market Nice looking house! Nice backyard, though i wouldn't want to mow it.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Stressful? No s**t

Yeah...that sitting area needs an upgrade. Thinking of replacing it with a pergola or gazebo along these lines - if a pergola a nice wisteria too. Drawing up cutting plans for both this week, but we probably won't build until spring.

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
            You got it for what, $50 in the current Detroit market Nice looking house! Nice backyard, though i wouldn't want to mow it.
            Yup...it was a fire sale.

Actual worth: $220,000+ in a normal market
            We paid: $140,000

$60-80k of equity the day we closed. You'd be surprised though: our real estate market has been going up lately - bargain hunters like us coming out of the woodwork.

Two key words cover the mowing: John Deere, a big honkin' lawn tractor with 4 wheel steering.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 September 2008, 07:31.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Like the Gazebo better, but obviously a lot more work
              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Me too, but then I'm not the only one making this decision and Margie loves wisterias

Either way my 12" compound miter saws table is set up for making production cuts which shortens the fabrication process considerably. I designed and built the table rather than buying it. As such it has features you can't get on a commercial table and it's made of oak - hard as nails.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 September 2008, 07:40.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Looks good.. we will be getting our new house ( well 19 years old) on October 31.. got it for $90K less than what the neighborhood normally sells for, as I have a bit of fixing up to do
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Nice Doc.
                    That back woods looks like a park.
                    Just needs the BBQ, hammock, table, and cooler.
                    I could take a nap just thinking about it.

Go for the pergola and wisteria.
                    You aren't going to win the battle anyway, and it's a lot easier to build than the gazebo.

If it's any consolation, in my case it was trumpet vine (just like what you have now) that was requested. What an invasive mess that stuff is. Though it does have a sort of antique charm.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Though, even if building pergola, the sitting arrangement of gazebo from the pic looks mighty nice... (at least for me...)

(pergola alley leading to gazebo placed in the "park", while it technically counts as a compromise, is a bit too much, right? ;P )

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
                        Looks good.. we will be getting our new house ( well 19 years old) on October 31.. got it for $90K less than what the neighborhood normally sells for, as I have a bit of fixing up to do
                        No fixing up needed here save for replacing a few boards on the deck - maybe $50 worth if that. This house is in just great condition. Did I mention it also has a concrete pad/outdoor outlet next to the deck for a hot tub?

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                        Nice Doc.
                        That back woods looks like a park.
                        Just needs the BBQ, hammock, table, and cooler.
                        I could take a nap just thinking about it.
                        I agree - we have our own private park. I'll be taking the laptop out there a lot.

Also thinking of extending the privacy fence all the way around the property. With that in place it would be a nice place for Marge and I to go for a late-night cuddle

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                        Go for the pergola and wisteria.
                        You aren't going to win the battle anyway, and it's a lot easier to build than the gazebo.

If it's any consolation, in my case it was trumpet vine (just like what you have now) that was requested. What an invasive mess that stuff is. Though it does have a sort of antique charm.
                        Probably right. One more 'yes, dear' for my collection

Yeah....one major reason for the upgrade is I can get rid of that damned trumpet vine. They'll take over the world if you let them - right out of War Of The Worlds (novel)

Have to find something else for the hummingbirds though.
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 September 2008, 11:05.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Nice place Doc. I'd love to have that much land.
                          FT.

Comment

Congrats Doc, must take advantage of the current prices of realestate these days, now is the time to buy!

Cheers!

Comment

Just had a thought;

Imagine next year at Halloween - set up a scary maze in the back with smoke generators, sound effects, eerie lighting and a few well placed kids and grandkids in ghost and monster garb.

Bet we'd end up with every kid for a mile....
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X