Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help finding an HDTV tuner w/ VGA output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding an HDTV tuner w/ VGA output?

Hi guys, long time no talk.

I was wondering if anyone had any input here.

I recently picked up a Samsung 24" LCD display (for $290 after rebates!) and it has dual inputs.

I'd like to use the free input on it (which is a 15-pin VGA) as an input for a TV tuner.

So basically what I need is an external TV tuner that has a coax in, a VGA out, some kind of RCA or stereo out, and a remote control.

I'd like it to tune both HDTV and standard TV in the US (so, NTSC, I guess).

I'd also like the proportions to look right on my widescreen display.

Basically, I need something along these lines except it has to be GOOD...

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

I've always been a fan of DVI Co.

Any ATSC card you get though your only option for VGA out is going to be through your video card. If your video card is DVI only all you need is a DVI-to-VGA adapter, which actually comes with most dual-DVI cards anyway. If not they're like $2 + shipping.

And remember that NTSC dies on 19 Feb, and after that there will only be ATSC signals over the air. I would opt for the dual-ATSC tuner if your pocketbook can afford it, then you'll have a nice DVR like setup.

If you are going OTA (over-the-air), then don't forget to get a good antenna. Antennas Direct has some good ones, and they released a line that is designed to work best at most HDTV channel frequencies. If you have a lot of VHF HDTV channels in your area you'll need something better, but otherwise one of these will should work well (if not they have a money back guarantee).

If you don't know much about your TV towers, then this is a good place to start. Shows where all of your towers are in relation to your house, and what kind of antenna you will need to pick up your stations, and whether the station is in the UHF or VHF range.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Here's another good station finder:

Locate TV transmitters, choose antennas, look at coverage maps, and optimize your HDTV setup. Learn about digital TV and how to incorporate it into your home theater system. Rediscover over the air (OTA) TV. Looking for something more accurate than antennaweb?
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
        I've always been a fan of DVI Co.

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products/
        Crap, all international sites are blocked at work. Gotta check this tonight from home.

Any ATSC card you get though your only option for VGA out is going to be through your video card.
        I can't get a VGA out that goes in directly to the VGA input in my monitor?

If your video card is DVI only all you need is a DVI-to-VGA adapter, which actually comes with most dual-DVI cards anyway. If not they're like $2 + shipping.
        Yup, got those lying around.

And remember that NTSC dies on 19 Feb, and after that there will only be ATSC signals over the air. I would opt for the dual-ATSC tuner if your pocketbook can afford it, then you'll have a nice DVR like setup.
        Ah, so I won't even sweat not having NTSC. I just need an HDTV (ATSC?) tuner then.

As for the dual setup, my goal here is to have my PC completely uninvolved...it's just too much of a pain in the ass. I want to use the monitor as a standalone monitor that the tuner outputs a signal to.

If you are going OTA (over-the-air), then don't forget to get a good antenna. Antennas Direct has some good ones, and they released a line that is designed to work best at most HDTV channel frequencies. If you have a lot of VHF HDTV channels in your area you'll need something better, but otherwise one of these will should work well (if not they have a money back guarantee).

If you don't know much about your TV towers, then this is a good place to start. Shows where all of your towers are in relation to your house, and what kind of antenna you will need to pick up your stations, and whether the station is in the UHF or VHF range.

http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
        Good link, but it looks like we don't have much OTA stuff here. It pretty much all comes in over the wire.

Comment

Just thinking out loud...

Is there no option of connecting the PC via VGA, and use the DVI connector for the tuner? If that option is open, and the DVI connector supports HDCP, then it may be possible to just get a harddisk recorder or other set top box, and route its HDMI output to your DVI...

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Hey Kooldino,

I'm assuming that you are looking for a standalone box with a ATSC tuner and a VGA
            output, correct? Not an ATSC tuner card for your computer? If my assumption is correct,
            you may have to look at some used equipment as the market for ATSC tuners w/VGA out
            is kinda small. Ebay/craigslist may be your friend.

That said, here are a few things I have found:

New:

I don't know anything about this vendor, but this is a ATSC/QAM standalone tuner with a
            VGA output. Cost - $250

Used.

Samsung SIR-TS360 - This is an old DirecTV tuner tuner that includes an ATSC tuner, DVI/VGA
            /Component outputs. I believe it will also accept video signals into it and upscale them.

RCA DTC-100 - One of the first ATSC tuners w/ VGA out.

I am sure there are others, but these are a few I could find right off the bat.

Comment

And one of these:

With an optional tuner (bottom of the page) ?

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by WxDude View Post
                Hey Kooldino,

I'm assuming that you are looking for a standalone box with a ATSC tuner and a VGA
                output, correct? Not an ATSC tuner card for your computer?
                Exactly. I want this tuner to have NOTHING to do with my computer, other than the fact that it's sharing the same monitor.

If my assumption is correct,
                you may have to look at some used equipment as the market for ATSC tuners w/VGA out
                is kinda small. Ebay/craigslist may be your friend.

That said, here are a few things I have found:

New:

Beautiful! I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. It's about $100 more than I wanted to spend, but if all else fails, this should do the trick.

I don't particularly need the "over the air" HDTV (since there really aren't any stations around here), so I'm more concerned with what comes over the coax. This box, however, appears to do both, as well as SDTV.

Used.

Samsung SIR-TS360 - This is an old DirecTV tuner tuner that includes an ATSC tuner, DVI/VGA
                /Component outputs. I believe it will also accept video signals into it and upscale them.
                It doesn't say anything about accepting cable...just over the air stuff.

RCA DTC-100 - One of the first ATSC tuners w/ VGA out.

This one appears to have a Tivo-like function.

Alternately - is there an affordable TIVO that will do what I'm looking to do?

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                  And one of these:

With an optional tuner (bottom of the page) ?

Jörg
                  Something like this?

That very well may do.

Here in the US we have Tivo (not sure if you have it there). Basically it's a dual tuner box with built-in disks to record on.

Something like this MAY fit my needs, but I'm not sure about it's outputs:

The only downside is I think there's a monthly fee.

Comment

The TiVo appears to have:

1 x phone line
                    1 x optical digital audio output
                    1 x S-video output
                    1 x component video output
                    3 x composite video and stereo outputs
                    1 x HDMI output
                    1 x Ethernet port
                    2 x USB ports
                    1 x E-SATA connection
                    1 x cable input
                    1 x antenna input

So for video outputs, I have:

1 x optical digital audio output
                    1 x S-video output
                    1 x component video output
                    3 x composite video and stereo outputs
                    1 x HDMI output

What would be the best candidate to adapt into 15-pin VGA without losing resolution? surely S-Video and composite are out of the question.

Maybe something along these lines...component to VGA?

Comment

I have used the TS360 (I still have a couple used in my home theater) with good success

As for the cable: I have never used that feature so I can't vouch for it's abilities but there is a cable tuner and (Ant coax) hookup on the back.

If it helps you can download the users guide from here and see if i meets your needs.
                      Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

The Samsung would handle plain analog cable, but it does not have a QAM tuner
                        that would handle digital cable.

If you go the Tivo route, your best bet would be to get a Component->VGA transcoder.
                        Audio Authority http://www.audioauthority.com has several VGA to Component converters.
                        StarTech rebadges a AA transcoder as well. If you had an additional DVI or HDMI input on
                        your monitor, then you could just hook up the Tivo directly.

- Wx

Comment

Originally posted by WxDude View Post
                          If you go the Tivo route, your best bet would be to get a Component->VGA transcoder.
                          Audio Authority http://www.audioauthority.com has several VGA to Component converters.
                          StarTech rebadges a AA transcoder as well. If you had an additional DVI or HDMI input on
                          your monitor, then you could just hook up the Tivo directly.

- Wx
                          I think I'm going to go the TiVo route. It's the best bang for the buck.

Why do you recommend a Component->VGA transcoder?

I just ordered a cheap component -> 15 pin VGA adapter off of ebay...should work fine, no?

Comment

All of the reviews of the cheap ebay component->vga transcoders is that they are crap.
                            Now, I will admit that these reviews do come from people with high end CRT projection
                            systems, but they are also people who are well versed in video display because they
                            are at the high end, so they do know what to look for.

Search through AVSforum.com looking for transcoders. The cheap ones do not have
                            good picture quality. And since you are going to be pushing at least 720p (if not 1080p)
                            through it, it becomes even more critical.

If you already ordered one, then try it out. Hopefully you'll get a decent one, but the history
                            of the cheap ebay transcoders is not good.

The Audio Authority transcoders are going to run you $200-300. So keep that in mind.

-Wx

Comment

I don't understand what the "transcoder" thing is about...shouldn't a component output simply adapt to VGA?

Comment

Working...
                              X