Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd try : 4870 1Gb + Q9450...

I'll be more careful this time lol...

First piccy is 3Dmark 06 with the cpu and mobo all on stock, with the new Bios, which has lowered the standard voltages all round...15080
    The 4870 1G is at 799-899 for core/mem...the 1Gb cards have different memory from the 512Mb cards, and prob wont OC as much. I have read they are Hynix instead of Quimonda.

Have just popped the cpu up to 3.2GHz on a 400fsb, and have left the memory at 1066, so on a 3:4 fsb:mem ratio. Haven't touched any voltages except memory, and its prime95 stable atm...

Compared to my previous try with the 4850, I almost have the same 3dmark score, just under, but with a lot slower cpu...I got the 15K+ scores with the cpu at 3.6GHz...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Evildead666; 27 September 2008, 08:44.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

same as before for everything, except the cpu is running at 3.2GHz...16869
    Attached Files
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Stalker Clear Sky is running at 34fps roughly (using the rs_stats 1 command) since Fraps doesn't want to show me the fps...
      1680x1050

Settings at maximum, with anti-aliasing at 0
      anisotropic filtering at max, everything else at max where possible.

I might bring down the amount of grass, since that is what gave me the biggest hit in the previous version, and has a small impact on gameplay...

So far, the game has explained very little, and someone who has not played stalker at all would be completely lost. I mean so lost he would be very frustrated...its incredible...
      I'm still loving it tho...

Bought the Steam version last night, and it was ready this morning
      Also got the Rockstar pack for $69.99, all the GTA's and some others too Only available this weekend.
      My steam game list is looking awesome

Comment

My 9600GT is acting up, flickering screens when it comes back from standby, shaky images, video tearing on all three outputs (tv, dvi dvi). Ordered a BFG GTX 260 OC2 Maxcore. I should score somewhere in the area of 16k with it. It'll be here next week.

I could probably break 17k and take the murc 3dmark record if I used XP instead of Vista, hrm...
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Wow.
          that 9600GT wasn't that old was it ?
          Not even OC either..?

Is there any reason to stick with Nvidia ?
          I am super happy with the ATi, video quality smacks Nv big time.

Gaming wise, the only slight letdowns are in Games that are TWIMTBP....so Nv sponsored...but that doesn't get me.
          Still playing Stalker Clear Sky, (TWIMTBP) only had two crashes in over two weeks....

Windows 7 next year, maybe with DX11...?

Comment

I think its more of a Palit issue. I shouldn't have went with a brand I didn't know much about. No OC. Card still plays games fine other than the tearing, I'll keep it around for something. Unless someone wants it for like $50.

Any reason to stick with nv? Yes. Better performance.
            Equal or better than the 4870 1GB in every game except Race Driver: Grid.

Cheapest 4870 1GB i could find was $335, this card is an overclocked version (630 vs. 576) for $320.
            (edit: the crappy economy shot the price back up on the BFG GTX 260 OC2 Maxcore, about $30 since I ordered it, looks like I got a good deal)
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

I wouldn't judge anything by one website, especially not just Hardocp...

I've just read through it....and i'll continue to go to the apples to apples and skim through the rest...

In any case, you'll be happy just with the brute force.

edit : I sent an email to Kyle once because i really wasn't happy with one of his replies to a post, and I got a very abusive email with expletives abundant. Needless to say my visits to the site dried up. i've been back from time to time, but just don't like it.
              There's plenty of other fish in the sea
              Last edited by Evildead666; 18 October 2008, 18:12.

Comment

I wouldn't put the blame on Palit either.
                They may have just put a sticker on a reference board. Or at least a fan and sticker.

How well was it cooled ?
                I've always manually controlled the fans on the gpu just to be on the safe side. Noise isn't a problem when the case fans and cpu fan all make more noise.

At least the 216 will be venting outside of the case...

Comment

Heres an easy comparison of the theoretical shader performance between the two cards :

The 216 has 216 shaders, complex shaders. If easy ops are needed, there are 216, if hard ops are needed, there are 216 shaders.

The 4870 has 160 complex shader clusters. each cluster has 1 complex shader and 4 simple shaders. If easy ops are needed, there are up to 800 shaders available. If hard ops are needed, there are only 160.

So, basically, the 216 has more of a brute force approach, like the G80 tech its heavily optimised on.

None of this is bad, per se, but the fact that Ati has a chip thats sod loads smaller, and has a better underlying tech, otherwise it wouldn't be so good or so popular.
                  The 48xx series in Europe is outselling the Nv cards by a large margin.

The 216 SHOULD beat the 4870, but it just doesn't. Apples to Apples. same load.

I am not a die hard fan of either camp, but i'd buy a Matrox card if they ever thought of doing a DX11 card (please ?)

Comment

I don't think the problem is my card burning out (heat issues, power issues etc). Just some low quality components used by Palit. The video tearing was always there, but sometimes you don't notice it; really depends on what you are watching. The other display issues almost seem like a driver issue, because I can fix them playing with the software. And I wanted to upgrade anyways
                    (Oh, and I think the video card is one of the noisier components, every single other fan in my case is a 120mm (cpu, case, psu))

Driver Heaven, one of the very few sites which PLAY the game shows similar results to hardocp. Anand and Toms are terrible imo. Especially with the ATI cards, since they in general just show an average. One complaint I have, which is extremely evident with the 4870X2, is that they don't really take into account the dips and spikes. The ATI cards, especially the X2, will have some massive FPS spikes which bring up the average, but then have some dips which will basically make the game unplayable at certain parts - which are usually high action parts where it really matters.

I've been on the ncix forums a lot lately, (600 something posts over the last few months) and have noticed a trend. There are lots of threads like "poor performance with 48xx." Then comes the citing of anand or toms benchmarks. Then someone else will bring up some hardocp numbers and they tend to match the users experience much more closely. I have seen far fewer of these threads about the GTX cards. I've also seen more reports of dead 4870's than I have the GTX's. Namely Diamond and Palit cards.

The Anand 4870 1GB benchmark:

eg. Crysis, the 4870 wins by 6%, AVERAGE fps, in a preset timed demo. Bad benchmarking.

Quote from HardOCP crysis benchmark:
                    "As is standard operating procedure for [H] gameplay testing; our entire method for finding the highest playable levels was achieved by playing through the entire game and finding graphical settings that produce playable results for the entire game, not just the level shown below. We do however feel that the “Train” level is a “worst case scenario” for Warhead in terms of graphics."

Under those circumstances, the GTX 260 showed a slight lead. It was these kind of results, couple with the GTX 260 216 being cheaper and overclocked (very few ATI cards are overclocked from the factory) that lead me to choose that card.

To be honest though, they are VERY close performance wise, and I think the cost factor won me out more than anything else. I barely have enough cash to pay for school next semester without pawning off my car

This debate very well could have been about the 9800GTX+/4850.

Comment

Heh, Out of Anands review i only have Oblivion and Crysis.
                      Crysis was always slow fps, but i went for best possible quality, and Oblivion just ran super fast with everything at max...lol

I'll give NFS Porsche 2000 a go again, and see if i can better the 8800's 16xAF+16xAA at 16x10...

Seeing as we have almost the same rig (i'll be getting round to Vista some time soonish) we'll be able to have pretty good comparisons...

I also still have to try the cpu at 3.6...again.
                      Had no probs since the last ones, perfectly stable...

Comment

I bumped mine down to 3.52 when Hellgate crashed a few times, but I'm pretty sure that was just hellgate being stupid and nothing to do with my computer. It was only the game that crashed anyways, not the computer. I haven't really played it much since i dropped it down so I'm not really sure. Either way we can find a consensus on some number and try some benchmarks and whatnot.

Comment

Some quick GTX 260 benchies, more after my Biochemistry exam which is in less than 3 hours

And yes I used stupid canned benchmarks, much quicker doing it that way.

Crysis Benchmark Dx10, 64bit.
                          9600GT
                          High Quality
                          0xAA 27.59
                          4xAA 20.08
                          Very High
                          0xAA 15.93
                          4xAA 12.53

GTX 260
                          High
                          0xAA 51.30
                          4xAA 43.19
                          Very High
                          0xAA 30.48
                          4xAA 25.28

Comment

at 1280x1024 res ?

I have to free a HDD and get Vista x64 installed then.
                            It won't do anything to any of my XP formatted drives will it ? like write some nice encryption buggery to screw my drives once vista is taken off again ?

I'll have some numbers by the weekend...

Just from your numbers, the 260 = 2x9600GT..(very roughly)

Comment

Pretty good upgrade if I say so myself. Should be fine installing vista on another drive. I suppose you could always just unplug your XP HD. Yeah, 1280x1024. Way overpowered video card for that resolution, but its nice to crank up the AA (and I get to use 2x1280x1024 for Supreme Commander). Although I suppose nothing is overpowered for Crysis. Gonna pick up Far Cry 2 this week as well. PC Gamer gave it 94%, IGN gave it 8.9/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X