98SE install from upgrade CD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98SE install from upgrade CD?

Does anybody remember how to do this? I have a Full version of 98, and a 98SE upgrade CD. I know there is a way to fool the upgrade CD into doing a full install, but I forget just what it is.

Anybody remember?

TIA,
    Wombat
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I was doing this last night and I ran into some problems, but eventually this is how it worked. Put in the original 98 disk and let it run until scandisk is done and the first windows operation is finished. I can't remember what that was, but it only took about thirty seconds to complete. Once the CD stops spinning, just swap out the disks and click on continue.

The upgrade CD needs Windows open before it will run. The first time I tried this it worked fine. But last night it gave me some problems with missing files. However, this might have been because I was trying to do it over a corrupted version of windows.

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Another possible way is copying all Win98SE files (The Win98SE folder on the CD, and you only need the files, NOT the directories!!) to a folder called Windows\Options\Cabs.

Then reboot without CD-options and only himem.sys loaded (make a startup disk).

Then goto Windows\options\cabs and type setup. This is how I fool my Windows most of the times

Jorden.

------------------
      I have Win98, think it's a year old, so it must be good... but every 20 minutes I have a GPF. I have a 10.1Gb HDD, and a P3-450, but it always comes to me with its problems..

I bought a CD last week... it said 120 hours of fun on the box... I needed 120 hours to get the darn thing working !!

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
      X