Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon 5DmkII video - 1080p at 30fps - How are they doing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 5DmkII video - 1080p at 30fps - How are they doing it?

Since the resolution of the 5DMkII is so high I wonder if Canon isn't demosaicing the bayer filter but rather doing simple arithmetic weighted averaging, or something similar, to cut down on the enormous CPU overhead required to demosaic 21MP at 30fps and then remap to 1920x1080 and finally compress to H.264. That's quite a bit of work for the electronics in the camera!

By doing something simple like taking each 2x2 filter pattern and making it a pixel by using a weighted average of the 2 green, 1 blue, and 1 red sensor elements they can easily obtain a value for the entire 2x2 element.

Since the raw resolution of the sensor is 5616x3744 the resolution obtained from a simple method like this would be 2808x1872. From here the output could either be cropped to 1920x1080 or remapped to that resolution. Since it appears camera does not work in crop mode when shooting video it appears as though if indeed Canon is doing what I suspect then they are remapping.

It'll be interesting to eventually get the tech details on this as it's pretty amazing they are doing it in a prosumer dSLR.

- Mark
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Canon's image processors are pretty darned good, and they just came out with a new generation. Can't wait to get my hands on one too
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Reminds me about that photo camera (Casio?) which can shot at 600 or 1200 fps, albeit in low resolution, and how they can accomplish that...wouldn't it also be possible to read only certain pixels from the sensor, in succesion?

For eample: assuming that resolution of the sensor is ten times bigger then that of resulting video that would mean reading every tenth pixel to have each resulting frame (1st frame - pixel #1 out of group of 10, 2nd frame - pixel #2 out of 10, and so on...). Would reads like that be ~10 times quicker than getting data from the whole sensor?

Comment

Working...
      X