Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy cad/cam

Hello,

I'm looking for a simple cad/cam software. The idea is to draw mechanical objects, and allow normal interactions (hinges, ...) between the objects.

It should be in 2D, or if possible 3D.

Any recommended (free) software to do this?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Easy CAD/CAM? Isn't that an oxymoron? Y'know, like "Vector Calculus For Dummies"?

Now, in new easy-to-read print, it's "Functions of a Complex Variable Made EEEEEAASSSSYYY!"

.. sorry, I don't really have anything to contribute today.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Well, cad/cam is probabely too big a word for what I need. Just don't know what else to call it.

I just want to be able to draw simple geometric objects and movable systems (mainly hinges).

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Phun?

Algodoo,Physic,Physics,Interactive Physics,Interact,Force,Friction,Fluid,Mechanic,Motion,Optic,Energy,Science,Simulate,Simulation,STEM,Plot,Learn,Teach,Home schooling,Game, Education,Invention,Laser,Fluid,Water,Animation,tool,build,draw,software,program
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hey, that may be worth checking out!
          (looks a bit childish, but if it has the features... )

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Well, I use one that cost me a pretty penny, but if you look hard enough (maybe about 10mins ) you'd be able to find a copy that is 'free'. Easiest to use of all the feature rich packages, with a minimal learning curve. You know where to find me if you want details
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Makers of the software secretly count on it anyway (if you'll do end up using their product seriously after "education period"...)

Comment

While "phun", it seems a thad too simplistic (not that easy to draw more normal components, e.g. different types of hinges, etc.)...

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

A Google search came up with this, might be what you're after
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Looks good!
                    From a quick glance the documentation, I cannot conclude whether it supports mechanical movement, but I'll check it out in further detail.
                    Thanks,

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

BRLCAD is a royal pain in the ass to use. It's extremely powerful, but it follows the old UNIX model of bolting an inscrutable GUI on top of a cryptic (but very capable) CLI.

There's a list of CAD/CAM programs at linuxcnc.org here: http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Cam - I think one of the top two links brings you to another good list of F/OSS CAD software.

I don't think there's anything out there that can compete with SolidWorks (for ease of use + feature set, especially regarding assemblies), but I'd love to be proven wrong.

- Steve

Comment

prolly all you need but here is a great links page as well, I tripped upon this while looking into a Taig milling center
                        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                        X