Colourful bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colourful bird

Over the years, I've tried to get a pic of what is arguably our most colourful bird, very mobile and shy. I succeeded today. Below is the European Bee-eater, Merops apiaster.
    Attached Files
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Here's a colourful bird I've been trying to get close to for years myself

FT.

Comment

I don't think FT's bird is shy...

or eats bees for that matter...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

the most colourful birds I ever saw in person:

no idea what they were eating.

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

This shows the Merops in spring plumage. Unfortunately their passage here is very rare in spring; it is only during the autumn migration, when their colours have faded somewhat, that they are see and heard here.

Comment

hm. just remembered - that bird should have been an bee eater too, I think. east african...

off-focus, I know.

mfg
            wulfman
            "Lobsters?"

Comment

Your lens has distracting bokeh
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

regarding which picture?

mfg
                wulfman
                "Lobsters?"

Comment

That's the White-fronted Bee-eater, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-fronted_bee-eater, quite common in sub-saharan Africa. There are over 20 species of Merops. AFAIK, the only other one rarely visiting Europe is the Blue-cheeked Bee-eater. They are all very colourful birds.

Comment

Wulfman, regarding the last you posted. But it's probably not the lens (it was a zoom though, wasn't it?) but the fact that you could have opened the aperture a little more. Please don't take this the wrong way, I've never shot a picture as good as that one in my life
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

*g*

honestly? I think it is a flawed picture - the subject is out of focus. I had the camera focus in the center, and compared to the point of focus, the bird is sitting half a meter to the front. I think you are not really complaining about the bokeh - it is just that the grasses have been in focus. it could have been a very nice shot, though - but it just isn't. normally wouldn't have posted it, but it was the only one I had that showed the colours nicely.

the zoom was a nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 (or something) ED, nothing expensive. and yes, I could have opened the aperture more... but given the brightness of the sun some 4° south of the equator early in the afternoon, I'm not even sure if my camera could have handled an exposure time short enough with a wide open lense w/o a filter.

teaser:

not so colourful, but still a beautiful bird.

mfg
                      wulfman
                      Last edited by Wulfman; 14 September 2008, 10:07.
                      "Lobsters?"

Comment

Nikon D70 huh?
                        Just picked up a D80
                        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

at that point, yes, d70. the focusing moter failed a year later, got myself a D80. nice toy.

we should seriously think about reviving the digital imaging forum...

mfg
                          wulfman
                          "Lobsters?"

Comment

Working...
                          X