FIC 503+ /Quantum Fireball KA /DMA problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIC 503+ /Quantum Fireball KA /DMA problems

I was wondering if anyone has experienced problems similar to mine. I have a FIC 503+ board w/K6-III 400, Quantum 13.6 HD/SB16 Vibra/Real3d Starfighter PCI (no flames please, I'm saving for a G400-TV). I am running Win98 SE.

If I attempt to turn on DMA in any fashion the system refuses to load, in fact it reboots itself into safe mode. I have tried the last 3 revisions of VIA's drivers & tried using the default drivers from Microsoft. Nothing works.

Any clues?

Thanks,
    Dave

The FIC can not recognize UDMA66 drives as such. If your Quantum is UDMA66, you have to upgrade your motherboard bios to recognize the drive as UDMA33. If you don't have the most recent bios, it will lock.

I'm not sure this is your problem though. If you already have the most recent FIC bios, then let us know, so we can try something else.

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

I have the newest bios for the board. I have also tried Quantum's utility that drops the drive to ATA 33.

Thanks,
      Dave

Comment

On my 503+ I always had to turn off DMA on the CD-ROM. I could leave it on for the hard drive, but it had to be off for the CD. Some people have to turn off bus mastering for their video cards, but I never had to do that as long as my CD's DMA was off. If I remember correctly, the 503+ bios only reads DMA CD-ROM's as PIO mode, so using VIADMATOOL to make it run DMA causes a conflict with the motherboard bios.

Try a few combinations of Hard Drive, CD and Video in different DMA and bus mastering combinations. Turning off bus mastering for the video is the least acceptable, but if it works, you may be stuck with it until the video drivers for your card improve.

If this doesn't work, it may be time to look at IRQ assignments, but that's a can of worms that is best avoided.

RAB
        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
        X