Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool new car!

Well, Sasq wants us to talk about these things

It may not be cool to some but to me it is, as I will shortly be taking delivery of a car very similar to this one:

Its a new model Ford Mondeo Estate, 1.8TDCi Zetec 6spd 125PS with extras including parking assist, rear spoiler and BT/voice control.

Not quite a year old, 8,500 miles and £7000 ( or 1/3) less than the new price. Comes with 2 years remaining warranty and full AA cover. Road Tax is ~£135 (vs £185 for the old car) and fuel economy is way better, probably approaching 50% (slightly offset by the extra 10p per litre for diesel). The old car is 7.5yo 2l petrol modeo with 71k on the clock and probably a lot more on the engine.

There was an alternative with the sports pack for an extra £375, but that includes privacy glass which was also on the model we test-drove and we really didn't like it. The sports pack also gets you the rear spoiler (dealer adding for us) and increases the alloys from 16" to 17". I don't see the benefit of that and new tyres will cost more.

All I have to do now is pay for it!

T
    FT.

I really really like the new Mondeo. GF's parents have the old one (Diesel Hatchback, the only good-looking one of that series, IMHO), and it's a nice car.

Post pics
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Bluetooth?

Comment

@NW: Yeah, it connects to your phone, and you can voice control the phone, audio, navigation and climate systems. It even has independant climate control for each side of the vehicle! It remains to be seen how good that is, but there are times on long journeys when I want to be cooler than my passengers so it could be useful.

@Az: My Dad has a petrol Mondeo estate from 2005. He wanted to sell it to me around Christmas but I'm really not keen on that shape. Ford has gone upmarket somewhat with the 2007- shape, but I'm not keen on the hatch/saloon shapes from the rear, they are very generic.
        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
          @NW: Yeah, it connects to your phone, and you can voice control the phone, audio, navigation and climate systems. It even has independant climate control for each side of the vehicle! It remains to be seen how good that is, but there are times on long journeys when I want to be cooler than my passengers so it could be useful.
          FWIW, I have had a sat-nav with bluetooth retrofitted after my existing sat-nav failed. And it is very comfortable. The system (Kenwood dnx8220bt) only supports the mic for phone use though (unlike for instance the Pioneer Avic F900bt, which I first had my eye on; but it has numerous bugs and apparently only the US version supports speech commands). My parent's car (Volvo 850) also has seperate left-right airco controls, but I don't think they use it that often with different left/right settings.

Have fun with it!

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I wonder if it can work from outside, controlled by bt headset... ;P (especially if by navigation you mean something like "computer! turn left!"
            But...you can customise callsign, right? "Computer"? ;> )

Comment

Well if Pierce Brosnan can do it...
              FT.

Comment

http://www.industrial-technology-and...rek-Scotty.mov

Comment

Exactly what I had in mind (even without the need to check the link), especially since recently I refreshed my memories of all Star Trek movies

(old ones still the best, same deal with Enterprise Constitution...gotta watch TOS finally, thought now I'm not sure if one should go for originals or remastered version; and BTW, why the hottest chick in First Contact is the Borg queen? )

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                    <snip>
                    Post pics
                    Picked the car up last night. Snapped this on my blackberry first-thing this morning.

FT.

Comment

Nice picture (looks very artistical)!

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Choose between:

a) Your car looks kinda bumpy. Are you sure it's OK?

b) Where is your car? I can't find it between all the bumpy things.

c) You forgot to take off the shrink wrap.

Comment

LOL. Here's the rest, again on the blackberry. Need to get still cam sorted.

FT.

Comment

The colour is very stimulating to my pleasure receptors
                            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I was very pleased with the colour, having not actually seen a decent example of it before ordering.

Here's the interior:

FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X