X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung: BR has 5 years - OLED HD next

Link.....

Samsung: Blu-ray has 5 Years Left, OLED HD on the Way

Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics at Samsung forsees a short future for Blu-ray

Blu-ray has 5 years left before it is replaced by a new technology or format according to Samsung. Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics at Samsung UK told gadget news site Pocket-lint "I think it [Blu-ray] has 5 years left, I certainly wouldn't give it 10".

Griffiths believes that 2008 will be the Blu-ray format's prime year. "It's going to be huge", he told Pocket-lint. "We are heavily back-ordered at the moment." With the move to offer cheaper players and one clear choice following the Blu-ray/HD DVD battle, Griffiths says the format will be a short term winner.

In the article, Griffiths also mentions that Samsung is putting its faith in its OLED HD technology. The new technology is almost ready, but is being held back by high manufacturing costs. "We will launch the OLED technology when it's at a price that will be appealing to the consumer, unfortunately that's not yet."

Griffiths, predicts by 2010 OLED technology will become mainstream and that it will replace LCD. "It's gonna be big, but at the moment it's a great story, not commercial, product," said Griffiths

Samsung previewed two OLED screen televisions at IFA in Berlin earlier in the month, introducing larger models than Sony. Coming in at 14-inch and 31-inch models, the screens are incredibly thin, and produce vivid contrasts and colors. Sony settled for second place with 9-inch and 27-inch models.

Griffiths believes a completely HD future is around the corner, "In 2012 we will be in a true HD world. Everything from your television to your camcorder will be offering you pictures in high-definition, and we plan to offer you that HD world from all angles." From Griffiths’ perspective, this future may not include Blu-ray.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I think that guy is way too agressive in his thinking.

2010 is too soon for OLED. Even the small ones are crazy expensive and will be for a
    couple years until they can get the manufacturing difficulties solved. That and the first ones are going to be small, so it will not replace the mainstream large format LCD TV sales. It may be good for people with cash who want another smaller tv in their bedroom, but not for a primary or home theater tv for a while.

And if the thinks that 2008 is the big year for blu-ray, then the guy is smoking something. Adoption is still abysmal and there are only a couple months left. A lot of people aren't bothering upgrading because they're still happy with their normal or upconverting dvd player, and blu-ray discs are still a ripoff.

Comment

OLED is a long way off before they can compete in the large HT HDTV market and then it will still be some time before it matures. LCDs are barely even there yet. I'm talking displays that are 60" and up. Meanwhile plasma has gotten very mature and black levels are phenomenal now.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

OLED will be too expensive for TV and computer displays for a few years still.

LCD is very very cheap, still getting cheaper, getting better colors, thinner panels, less power draw, and, finally, good black levels.

Maybe we won't even see large OLED screens at all, maybe laser projection will be mature before OLED.

OLEDs certainly do have a future for mobile screens, though. And of course this all has nothing to do with HD disc format. It's very hard to predict Blu-Ray's future without there being even talk of a successor, and for many people, today's HD will be good enough for quite a while. Heck, outside of the US and Japan, most people haven't even switched to HD.
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I can definitely see OLED taking the place of LCD for laptops, especially due to the low power consumption. That will be a big draw in the even if price is higher.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
            I can definitely see OLED taking the place of LCD for laptops, especially due to the low power consumption. That will be a big draw in the even if price is higher.

Especially with all the green initiatives and the power grid problems some countries, like the US, is having.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I must say, I agree with the bulk of the commenters: huh?

There's no link made between BD discs and OLED displays, it's just some random ramblings.

I wouldn't mind some super-snazzy format like quad HD or 16xHD (which I've seen monitors for), which might require more data than BD can provide. Then again, I wouldn't mind just getting a real HDTV either (I have a 3-CRT Mitsubishi RPTV, from the year before they had digital tuners or inputs - sigh)

- Steve

Comment

何か。

Comment

Working...
                X